***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I am beyond devastated. My husband wanted us to go visit his parents out of town and also see his niece who is graduating. The only time I could go was this last week because I start summer classes Monday. I really really didn't want to go but agreed only to make hubby happy. I had chicks of various ages in 3 brooders in my shop and was terribly worried about them. I even told our neighbor who was going to take care of the animals how worried I was about them. Well we are on our way home and he just called to say he didn't know there was chicks in the small shop and a lot are dead. I am so very upset and stills hours from home I don't think they are all lost but the neighbor didn't tell my husband what is ok and what isn't. I am so devastated.

I am beyond devastated. My husband wanted us to go visit his parents out of town and also see his niece who is graduating. The only time I could go was this last week because I start summer classes Monday. I really really didn't want to go but agreed only to make hubby happy. I had chicks of various ages in 3 brooders in my shop and was terribly worried about them. I even told our neighbor who was going to take care of the animals how worried I was about them. Well we are on our way home and he just called to say he didn't know there was chicks in the small shop and a lot are dead. I am so very upset and stills hours from home I don't think they are all lost but the neighbor didn't tell my husband what is ok and what isn't. I am so devastated.

Sorry for your loss I know you must feel heartbroken

Rinda was it you who recently had a chick hatch w/o eyes? I had one from this hatch that was backwards in the shell, shrink wrapped, little (non functioning) or no eyes and a beak that looked like he had been debeaked (shorter on top) It didn't survive, which is good.

Yes. Out of the 3-400 chicks I hatch every month I usually have one or two missing one eye, and once I had one with NO eyes. I was so sad it was a Cream Legbar female!!!

So sorry!

-Kathy

Ooooh, thank you! ! *muah muah, hugs, hugs* That helps tremendously & I'm not going to start it til tonight or tomorrow, so there's time to verify.

I have been battling sneezy chickens for about 6wks, thought it was a virus due to wild fowl. They cleared up on their own with me monitoring them daily. This is different though because a couple of the girls definitely sound congested and "raspy", which to me is indicative of respiratory infection. I just feel this is probably my best course of action.

The only drawback is egg withdrawal. My girls give me 18-23/24 eggs a day!
Can you do me a huge favor? Can you open your package and tell me how many tablespoons of powder are in it? I called the makers of this powder and they insisted that the 800 mg dose is 2.5 tablespoons per gallon.

oxytetracycline-hci-6-4oz-packet-14.jpg

-Kathy

So, so sorry.
I killed a lot of chicks once when their water got spilled in their plastic tub brooder. They got wet and cold. It was horrible. I won't use those tubs any more for that reason.

Last edited:
Well the damage wasn't as bad as it could be. The quail chicks, a BCM, and two special silkie chicks died but for the most part everyone else is fine. My juvenile BCM pullet outside in the big coop was squished in the mud just like her sister last week. I guess I am not ment to have bcm's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom