***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I'd love to have some of those carnation poppy seeds if you get a nice harvest from this year. My red American Legion single poppies were outstanding this year. I've had them for many years, but they'd mostly gotten crowded out, so I got a bag of seed from my sister-in-law in Texas, who originally got them from me. I'd be happy to share gather and share them with anyone who wants them. They are sown in the fall--don't even need to cover the seeds--and the plants germinate and grow all winter long.
I'll be happy to send you some seed. Send me your address in a PM. I originally got my seed from my great aunt who got the seed from her grandmother. At one time there were white ones. Once in a while we get singles in the colors too.
I went outside and thought about it (also talked to Mr. Math, he does this stuff in his just for fun). Tetroxy hca - 280 Assume one tablespoon weighs 15 grams, which it might if one *really* packed it in. Then 36.57% means that each *gram* has 365.7 mg, so it's 15 grams x 365.7 mg = 5485.5 mg per tablespoon, so 5485.5 [COLOR=545454]÷ 3 = [/COLOR]1828.5 mg per teaspoon, which is way too much! Oxytetracyline Again, assume one tablespoon weighs 15 grams,. Then 5.5% means that each *gram* has 55 mg, so it's 15 grams x 55 mg = 825 mg per tablespoon, or 275 mg per teaspoon. The maximum recommended dose is for either 800 mg per gallon, I think. @Nancat , 1/8 teaspoon of Tetroxy hca - 280 has 228 mg See why I hate powders, lol. -Kathy
1 gram is 1000 mg. Each measure of Oxy only has 37% of medicine so 37% of 1000 is 370 mg of medicine, so 1 gram or 1/15th of a tablespoon is 370 mg of medicine. So 2/15ths of a tablespoon (2 x 370) is less then the 800mg. So 2/14ths (easier reduction) is 1/7 close to 1/6th. 1 teaspoon is 1/3 of a tablespoon, so 1/2 teaspoon is 1/6th of a tablespoon. So IF the 15 grams weight is correct for a tablespoon then 1/2 teaspoon would work.
I use a half teaspoon

This product:

These doses:
800 mg dose - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon
400 mg dose - 1/4 teaspoon per gallon
200 mg dose - 1/8 teaspoon per gallon

-Kathy

This product:
oxytetracycline-hci-6-4oz-packet-14.jpg

These doses:
800 mg = 1 tablespoon per gallon
400 mg = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon
200 mg = 3/4 teaspoon per gallon

-Kathy

Disclaimer - doses still need to be verified.

Rinda was it you who recently had a chick hatch w/o eyes? I had one from this hatch that was backwards in the shell, shrink wrapped, little (non functioning) or no eyes and a beak that looked like he had been debeaked (shorter on top) It didn't survive, which is good.

I put a cow in the barn a couple days ago thinking it would be dry for her. That evening she was bawling and I went to see what was wrong. She was standing in mud up to her belly. I turned her back out but all the ground is like that. I checked the chicken house and could feel the mud under even dry straw. I raked it out and put some plywood down and straw on top of that but hope the birds don't get sick

We have been fortunate not to have a scours outbreak with the calves due to Mommas having muddy bags. We have one calf we are treating today because of scours and infection from banding. Going to give him another 8:1 shot just to be on the safe side.

Yesterday, I put board walks in three pens because the mud is getting really soupy. The pour Cochins are walking around with mud caked on their feet feathers. They don't seem to mind walking in puddles to wash it off, but then they walk back thru the mud to their coop.

I'm going to move another set of eggs to the hatcher this evening...Quail eggs and Wyandotte eggs.

There are 27 six week old chicks that need to go to the barn so I can move 27 chicks to the brooder. I'm running out of room...so today, I'll pull down a big cage and get it set up for the 6 week olds. The pens will be too wet to move any outside to the juvenile pen or to allow Miranda and Mandy to take their broods outside to learn to free range.

We have noticed a lot of predator tracks closer to the house. The gophers in the pasture have been drowned out, so prey is not as abundant. A huge owl lit on an electric wire above the juvenile pen last night but the birds had already been locked up for the night.
Guess we are all going to have to be more watchful for a while.

Anyone interested in guinea eggs? I thought I had cleared out the nests but found another clutch and guineas are still laying in the other areas. Think I have 3-5 dozen very fresh and another couple dozen of unverifiable age

Back
Top Bottom