***OKIES in the BYC III ***

M
This has been a really strange gardening year!  My green beans didn't even start blooming until mid summer, and didn't seem to be setting.  However, NOW they are producing quite a bit.  I don't have a very big garden, but have picked two 5 gallon buckets of green beans and three dozen tomatoes in two pickings this week.  I didn't heed NanaKat's advise about preparing tomato plants for fall tomatoes, but just left both tomatoes and green bean vines in place.  Haven't even been watering.  The green beans are really very nice--much nicer than in the correct season last year.  The tomatoes are smaller, but more flavorful and prettier (less broken skin because of too much water) than they've been all season.  They've produced quite well.  Imagine what they would have done if I'd followed Katheryn's advice!  I'm amazed at green beans in October--sown in early spring!

My bell peppers did the same thing. I was surprised to see them.

This has been a really strange gardening year! My green beans didn't even start blooming until mid summer, and didn't seem to be setting. However, NOW they are producing quite a bit. I don't have a very big garden, but have picked two 5 gallon buckets of green beans and three dozen tomatoes in two pickings this week. I didn't heed NanaKat's advise about preparing tomato plants for fall tomatoes, but just left both tomatoes and green bean vines in place. Haven't even been watering. The green beans are really very nice--much nicer than in the correct season last year. The tomatoes are smaller, but more flavorful and prettier (less broken skin because of too much water) than they've been all season. They've produced quite well. Imagine what they would have done if I'd followed Katheryn's advice! I'm amazed at green beans in October--sown in early spring!

Besides the squash ( I planted for the neighbor not me that is now feed to the chickens and goats) Everything in my garden was the same. I even had to plant 3 times this year because it was flooded out. But I'm still eating some really good okra.

We are still getting okra , tomatoes, squash, jalapeno and finally some nice bell peppers. We should get sweet potatoes if the rabbit leaves us any. Rabbits got the purple hull peas.

NanaK how's your dog doing?

Thank you for asking. Red is responding to the anti-inflammatory...even had a little trot in his get-along today. His hip has popped out only once since last Saturday, but was easy to put back in place. Red loves to go check cows and watch for squirrels on the trip standing the whole time in the back of the Ranger. We have shortened his ride to just the fall calving pasture instead of all four pastures. For now that is helping a lot and he is satisfied. We should hear from the vet soon about surgery possibilities.

Something will come along for all of us......we always live modestly....my husband is an engineer and everything is a number !

My day started poorly, but it got better and better. I helped a friend caponize some cockerels, enjoyed homemade chicken salad sandwiches for lunch, and received the gift of a new naked necked chick. He/She is black with a small bowtie and cute as can be. A moth flew into the brooder when I took the photo, so it looks like all the chicks are dancing to the hokey pokey. Baby chickens are docile? Phewwtt!! Don't let those fuzzy butts fool you. They're hunters from the minute they can stand.

Our granddaughters created some rock art in the driveway on Sunday. When I asked the oldest (4-year-old) to tell me about their creation, she said it was an explosion of purple light. She told me she knew it was purple, but that I would have to look hard to see the color.

We will be coming from East Tulsa area using the turnpike. Where exactly is the swap meet held ? We will be at both meets if we can find it !
Silkies, Sizzles young, muscovy ducklings to sell. Maybe a trio of Blue Sizzles - 1 year old. Mostly pets on wire. This summer brought out some pretty good heads on the blue Silkys.
Thank you so much for the information. My husband was just laid off last week. Love the the Oil & gas business !

If you're coming on I-44, (Turnpike) you'll be getting of at the HWY 59 and 60 toward Afton / Grove exit, I think it's exit # 302. You'll see a detour sign telling you take HWY 60 east, HWY 59 is closed due to a bridge out ahead. but if you don't mind a couple of miles of gravel roads, and want to save about 10 miles or so, stay on HWY 59 south. As you pass the Buffalo ranch (convenience store/ truck fuel stop) on the left, HWY 59 turns to the left. In about a half a mile will be the 1st gravel cross road. Turn Left there (on east 220 road) for a mile. Next road (not a cross road) is south 540 road. Turn right. Another mile and you're back at HWY 59. You'll see the swap gate off to the right across 59, next to 540 rd. Be careful going in the gate, as there is a deep ditch between the gravel road and the driveway going in. The reason I say that it's hard to notice, and almost every swap, someone runs off in it.

While y'all are there, stop by and say howdy. I'll be at the corner at the bottom, like if you come in the gate, go straight all the way, and as the roadway turns to the right, I'm right there. There will be a blue Dodge Ram pick up and a white cargo van there.

Do yall know of a breeder or hatchery close to Choctaw that will sell started pullets? I'm needing just 1 or 2 to add to my flock.

Thanks

Do yall know of a breeder or hatchery close to Choctaw that will sell started pullets? I'm needing just 1 or 2 to add to my flock.

Thanks

Besides being point of lay pullets, are you looking for specific breeds or layer replacers?

I have a Columbian Wyandotte breeding project and will be selecting birds to sell. Some will be coming into POL in about 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom