***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I steamed two dozen eggs yesterday and they peeled like a dream. Got the water boiling, set the eggs in the steamer basket, steamed 12 minutes, and dunked them in cold water. Shook in a glass with a little water and the peels slipped right off. These were fresh eggs, too- between one and 6 days old.

Yes, works really well. I think mine took 20min. because I put the eggs in the steamer before the water was boiling. A couple of the eggs were actually not quite completely "Hard Boiled"

Some cute critters we are hauling to the County Fair and then a week later to our local show on 27 Feb at the Newcastle Fairbarn (same place as the chicken auction). If anyone wants to come out and support the kids - the show starts at 0900 with the bonus auction that night at 7pm. Besides livestock winners, additional awesome things being auctioned off include a VIP suite at a Thunder game, and a basketball autographed by Kevin Durant. Very cool!!!

Yes @Doc637 that is what we do. I have two males and 8 females. I'll begin hatching eggs again now that the weather is nicer. These are in an inside pen and we hope to release some on our 400+ acres. We have had them since last spring and were surprised that they were laying so soon and so prolifically. Fall hatched chicks made it to two months and then stropped thriving.
Thanks Nanakat, sorry to hear about your fall chicks. Surprised they laid that soon, thats great though. Little jealous of the 400 acres, thats quite a spread.

Broodies! I had Wheaten Ameraucanas and my neighbor had Blues, I never saw them go broody. Ameraucanas personalities sure seem to vary more than many other breeds. I have known some to be quite flighty and others to be so friendly - all individuals.
I guess its just mine then haha. Have had 2 or 3 that have been sitting throughout the entire "winter"- although hard to call it much of a winter. Mine aren't so friendly- but they'll sit on eggs lol.

Some cute critters we are hauling to the County Fair and then a week later to our local show on 27 Feb at the Newcastle Fairbarn (same place as the chicken auction). If anyone wants to come out and support the kids - the show starts at 0900 with the bonus auction that night at 7pm. Besides livestock winners, additional awesome things being auctioned off include a VIP suite at a Thunder game, and a basketball autographed by Kevin Durant. Very cool!!!
Lovely birds there, also dig the red camo shirt.

What's up Turkey Butt!? ... My only view of the second broody turkey. She is still alive...took me a few moments watching to make sure that her feathers moved.
Glad she is alive, good luck with the clutch. Keep us updated?

Brother sent me this phot saying he fou d a picture of my livingroom on the internet...my answer was it is so close to being reality..have lost count of how many we have revived in the kitchen.

Brother sent me this phot saying he fou d a picture of my livingroom on the internet...my answer was it is so close to being reality..have lost count of how many we have revived in the kitchen.

LOL! When we had baby goats, my kids would bring them in when I wasn't paying attention. Then i'd turn around and there would be a baby goat in my bedroom!

And we always start out our chicks in the kitchen. My excuse is it's easier to keep an eye on them that way. :)

I'm lucky if I can keep an incubator in the garage and y'all have goats and calves in the house. I grew up that way in South Dakota but married a city girl. Mom didn't even get upset when Dad rebuilt a motor in the living room when there was nothing outside but a lot of negative degrees.

Thanks Nanakat, sorry to hear about your fall chicks. Surprised they laid that soon, thats great though. Little jealous of the 400 acres, thats quite a spread.

I guess its just mine then haha. Have had 2 or 3 that have been sitting throughout the entire "winter"- although hard to call it much of a winter. Mine aren't so friendly- but they'll sit on eggs lol.

Lovely birds there, also dig the red camo shirt.

Glad she is alive, good luck with the clutch. Keep us updated?

We had wanted, well, I, wanted an aloha pattern...but there were none in her size. The son got to choose.

For any of those that have had broody turkeys brooding away from the coop - do you put out food or water for them? She would have to travel some distance to get to chow, and I am not sure of her schedule - there are some mornings when the coop gets opened up a bit late. There is always water out, but she still has to travel out of the cow yard, through a fence and around to near the fence to get to it. My biggest concern is that food would attract possums or skunks...then of course, the cows would eat it too...

Back
Top Bottom