***OKIES in the BYC III ***

ep.gif

Our niece is traveling through the mail for a grade school geography project. She sent herself to me, and I documented her visit. Tomorrow, Paper Amelia goes back home with a package of photographs of her visit to the farm. The teacher requested post cards, but I couldn't find anything that would help kids understand what a farm in Oklahoma is like. I decided that photographs would make more sense to the grade schoolers. Here's Amelia after helping me collect eggs.

That is the coolest thing ever! Post cards are pretty lame compared to this.

Anyone in the market for a 'special' chick? I have a (found in the cowyard) bantam type chick - mama was likely a bantam cochin, dad, who knows... He (the chick) had one leg tuck up, like other kinds of birds often do. He doesn't use it, and so far has managed to get around using only one leg - including drinking from his drink container. My problem (again) is that it is a single chick. Of course, there is a local chicken auction tomorrow...may have to find buddies for this one. Has anyone ever had a one legged chicken before?

Hauled 18 5 gallon buckets of poop to top off the raised beds. Planted 18 tomatoes, 12 peppers, 4 cabage (it is actually to late to plant them, but they were free from the plant store), radish, cukes, malabar spinach, zucchini, and okra. On top of the last two days before of replanting a 30 foot flower bed making it a hummer / butterfly buffet, and weeding another 20 foot bed and digging holes and planting another 16 tree / bushes.

Is there anyone in the Oklahoma City area that has sexed male muscovies that are less than a week old who'd be willing to sell me one of them? I really want one to raise for my six females and as a pet. I only want one because the males fight each other too much.

I actually have 1 muscovy duckling Im 95% sure is a male. I'm in Norman if you want it. It's free to a non kill home! He's super cute and maybe 5 days old.

Remember my broody turkeys? First the hawk, then my oldest grandson trying to combine two nests which resulted in two turkeys moving the whole thing and trying to share a nest outside? THAT resulted in my daughter moving the nest to a nest box and I just locked her in overnight hoping for the best. Tonight my youngest grandson (raised in California) gathered the eggs. Go ahead, you can say OH NO! My wife started take care of the eggs and then asked why there were so many turkey eggs. Then she said several of these are rocking! They were already cooling off but they wanted to try and save them. I didn't even have an incubator warmed up because I've been to busy to start hatching but we plugged in one that I built which has an electronic thermostat and heats up fast. I've never won the lottery, but if any survive they'll have beaten those odds.
Well at least one has won the lottery. There is a bunch left so we'll see if any more of them draw the same number. I didn't think any would survive, I was just playing along to make the the grand kids feel better till it blew over.

Hauled 18 5 gallon buckets of poop to top off the raised beds. Planted 18 tomatoes, 12 peppers, 4 cabage (it is actually to late to plant them, but they were free from the plant store), radish, cukes, malabar spinach, zucchini, and okra. On top of the last two days before of replanting a 30 foot flower bed making it a hummer / butterfly buffet, and weeding another 20 foot bed and digging holes and planting another 16 tree / bushes.

That is a nice accomplishment! Also, just wanted to tell you how impressed I am when I see the clothes you make for your little naked chickens! Tailor made, so great! Read your interview and couldn't believe you even made your own wedding dress ... really a talented woman. Just wanted to say hi.

Back
Top Bottom