***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I can't joke about tornado season. I become terrified. Last year, I barely carried my babies to safety as the roof of our apartment flew not even five feet over our heads. My four year old hasn't forgotten it either.
Oh my. D: I'm the same way. We had a little F1 swoop over Shady Point and that was absolutely horrifying! It ripped a cellphone tower to shreds but left a lot of houses untouched. Super spooky!

Everyone good!?!

Bout paid for the joke funnel formed over place on east side. We got lucky
I'm hoping you all are good that turnpike track looked rough

We are safe for now. Were huddled under a mattress in the tub earlier for a good half hour. Still under watches until at least midnight. Letting the kiddos watch cartoons for a while. Hope the chickens are OK back home, but seriously, I think their coop is stronger than our house haha.

Oh my. D: I'm the same way. We had a little F1 swoop over Shady Point and that was absolutely horrifying! It ripped a cellphone tower to shreds but left a lot of houses untouched. Super spooky!

I've had bad experiences with tornadoes repeatedly, stemming all the way back to my childhood when I was at day camp and we had to run from tornadic activity to a neighboring residential lot and seek shelter in their basement.

Carrying my babies, terrified and crying, made it one hundred times scarier.

Have grown up in Oklahoma...surviving many storm seasons...more tornado encounters than I want to count...and I still get nervous when weather includes a tornado warning.

During the last drought season, fires raged in our area...making us aware of the threat of losing our hay and possibly home and barns.

Winter ice storms bring down electricity essential for water and power.

So we have had a lot of discussion about emergency planning and what are the essentials we would need to either shelter in place or evacuate. That includes strategies for the livestock and chickens.

During both storm seasons and fire season, part of the preparedness evacuation plan includes grabbing the portable file box that includes important papers, a box with irreplaceable family photos, an emergency kit for us and one for the pets, Roger's meds and cpap, and our wallets, phones, iPad and the packet of extra power cords. While I move those to the van, Roger brings the suitcase (packed with three days change of clothing) and then secures the barn and collects the key ring to the equipment and vehicles.

If we evacuate for fire, the coops are opened and outer pasture gates are unlocked for the fire department and all inner gates are opened so livestock can move freely on the 250 acres.

To shelter in place for winter, we draw up a 20 gallon crock of water (in case the electric is out) because on the farm, the electric powered well doesn't flow without power. Even with a generator, only certain things can be powered.

There are check lists on a clip on the side of the refrigerator...it makes us feel more secure knowing we have plans in place.

Back
Top Bottom