***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hi all,
I'm a new okie to the back yard chicken scene. I just have a handful of assorted bantams I got for my boys. Any advice on them or other helpful tidbits about them is welcome. Love the shared info on the site.

Howdy and welcome. Only tidbits I have is make sure they are in a varmint proof pen. The boys may get upset at losing them. And treats in the evening (I use scratch while my all flock feeder stays full) will get them running to you. Everybody loves that. And if they free range it can encourage them to head back to the coop

Memorial Day my daughter-in-law and grandson came over. He was trying to see the baby chicks so we put
him in the "chickie jail." He would stand there and try to "call" them over. LOL

Well they eventually came over to him.

But that WAS NOT what he wanted.
lau.gif

So what does he do when they go away???

Tries to call them back again. And as soon as they came back over he
would be like "nope, don't want them near me." LOL

yuckyuck.gif

I got some leghorn eggs at an auction, but they weren't marked as to color. Does anyone recognize the color pattern for these leghorns? I'm pretty sure the first is a pullet and the second is a cockerel.

Sent 11 buns to freezer camp, still have about 20 or more to go. Man turn your back on them for a month or two and things just get ridiculous!

Bantam roosters can be little dictators. I will defeat that by caging a rooster with a couple of hens for a month. They bond and become a family unit. This works if you have the space to do it. Once bonded they go into the main flock and freerange with the big birds. Each rooster gets a few hens of his own that he protects, treat calls and breeds.
Bantam roosters will bully the large breed roosters and can intimidate one away from food and water. Providing extra feed and water stations will help with that.

Got some broccoli from the garden and we blanched it before putting it in the freezer. I've never grown broccoli before so was really surprised at the pop in color after boiling and the ice bath. These were baby broccoli plants. The standard heads should be ready soon. It's so exciting growing your own food!

NanaK or anyone else who knows about canning. I canned bone broth today, and the jars are popping sealed and unsealed repeatedly, does this mean even if they stop on "sealed" they are good to go or not?

I'm from Pryor, with my first batch of chickens. TSC, Golden Comets. which were 2-3 days old when I got them, now 9 weeks old.
Have relied completely on the knowledge of you people on this forum for raising them and building their coop and run. Thanks for helping me. .

Back
Top Bottom