***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Buckeyes can be found thru breeders at the Poultry show in Shawnee in December. Breeders come from surrounding states to show their birds and bring extras to sell. There are hundreds of breed varieties that are also shown. There will be information on that show in November if not sooner

Another source is the Buckeye thread in the BYC chicken breed section.

Some hatcheries have begun offering Buckeyes, but I don't know the quality offered.

I have noticed bigger combs, both male and female, on the smaller cornish crosses. The smaller birds aren't deep in the chest, either.

I was noticing that too, I wonder if the smaller ones are crossed w/ something else? They still are going to be bigger then my nakeds so I'm heading in the right direction. I am already planning on it taking several generations to get where I want to go, and maybe at least one cross back to the X's

@Kassaundra I think we're looking at an incomplete cross with the smaller birds. They are all supposed to be CX, but they just don't look the same.

@Kassaundra I think they are eight weeks old. I'm planning to put the majority of mine in the freezer this weekend.

Cool, I'm assigning them a hatch day of May 1st, I can remember a set day much better then a changing age. Yours must be quite a bit bigger then mine, b/c especially the smaller 2 aren't near cull size. But I have been careful w/ food on mine and they get LOTS of exersize

I just found out that our local feed store where I got my chickens has something like 60 chickens leftover from their spring shipments, so they're already started. A bunch of different breeds. I might have to go adopt a few, just because I feel sorry for them being orphans. I wish I could rehome them all, but I don't have the room. For anyone who might be interested, they're at the Bethany Country Store in the OKC metro. They told me their birds come from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, MO.

It's almost 100 degrees, but let's all share this one nest!!! :rolleyes:

I just found out that our local feed store where I got my chickens has something like 60 chickens leftover from their spring shipments, so they're already started. A bunch of different breeds. I might have to go adopt a few, just because I feel sorry for them being orphans. I wish I could rehome them all, but I don't have the room. For anyone who might be interested, they're at the Bethany Country Store in the OKC metro. They told me their birds come from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, MO.

Careful! Last time my husband surprised me with the "leftover chicks" he brought home all cockerels. Granted most people can tell what they're getting-he was just too excited to pay much attention.

Back
Top Bottom