***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It's not a bobcat getting my turkeys. It's a cougar. My daughter saw it yesterday about a hundred yards north of the house when she was walking down to get a pet she thought was by the pond. She thought it was a really huge dog, until she recognized a feline body and a long smooth tail. She was close enough to throw a bottle of Pepsi at it and yell. It turned his head, switched its tail a couple times and looked at her then just walked into the trees. A minute later two fawns came squirting out of the woods. We figured there was a fawn there cause a doe has been hanging around.
We've found blood and feathers on top of a six foot fence so I was beginning to think it wasn't a bobcat, no evidence of anything going under. We've seen tracks in mud for several years now and suspected, but this is the first time we've seen it.
No more little grand kids getting the eggs.

Last edited:
A big snake will also swallow fairly good sized chicks/keets, and will try to swallow adults if it can catch them while they are sleeping at night. They cannot fully swallow them, so regurgitate them, having smothered the bird. This action is easily identified by the slimy condition of the feathers, which are pulled backwards. You would be surprised what damage a determined snake can do, so you need to do your best to "snake proof" your coops/pens. They can easily get up to high perches as well.

It's not a bobcat getting my turkeys. It's a cougar. My daughter saw it yesterday about a hundred yards north of the house when she was walking down to get a pet she thought was by the pond. She thought it was a really huge dog, until she recognized a feline body and a long smooth tail. She was close enough to throw a bottle of Pepsi at it and yell. It turned his head, switched its tail a couple times and looked at her then just walked into the trees. A minute later two fawns came squirting out of the woods. We figured there was a fawn there cause a doe has been hanging around.
We've found blood and feathers on top of a six foot fence so I was beginning to think it wasn't a bobcat, no evidence of anything going under. We've seen tracks in mud for several years now and suspected, but this is the first time we've seen it.

Good enough reason to hunt it down right there. If it's not impressed with people it's gotta go

A big snake will also swallow fairly good sized chicks/keets, and will try to swallow adults if it can catch them while they are sleeping at night. They cannot fully swallow them, so regurgitate them, having smothered the bird. This action is easily identified by the slimy condition of the feathers, which are pulled backwards. You would be surprised what damage a determined snake can do, so you need to do your best to "snake proof" your coops/pens. They can easily get up to high perches as well.

After finding this one, I`m looking for them in place I hadn`t before :)

ep.gif
Wow that is scary.

best snake trap- minnow trap- i need to get one- one tried to strangle our muscovy, Dave took care of it, then a smaller one started haunting us, he did relocate that one today after it wandered into the silky coop

Last edited:
There is mountain lions in Arkansas but the Fish and Game swears there isn't. I saw one a few years ago. I also a horse with deep scratches on its shoulder and around the neck that the owners said was a mountain lion attack, the horse lived. Watch those babies!

Many state wildlife departments refuse to admit it. I'm not sure why. Oklahoma was the same for years until it became undeniable with personal photographs, game camera pics and actual bodies from accidents and shootings.
We as people created the environment by increased agriculture and water with ponds which has boomed the deer population and by having smaller areas with farms which means greater opportunity to feed on poultry, cats and dogs, goats, cattle and horses.
As the lion population grows they expand and move. They need their own territory. It shouldn't be a surprise. The same has happened with our bear population in Oklahoma in my lifetime.
Lion are harder to trap because they prefer live game so hunting is more successful. The bad thing is they are protected here so they have to be taken under depredation laws or public safety laws. I'd say try Okla Wildlife Dept but don't be surprised if they are less than helpful. I'd pack heat and bust it. Make sure you do report the kill to them though otherwise they will claim you broke the law and fine you.

Many state wildlife departments refuse to admit it. I'm not sure why. Oklahoma was the same for years until it became undeniable with personal photographs, game camera pics and actual bodies from accidents and shootings.
We as people created the environment by increased agriculture and water with ponds which has boomed the deer population and by having smaller areas with farms which means greater opportunity to feed on poultry, cats and dogs, goats, cattle and horses.
As the lion population grows they expand and move. They need their own territory. It shouldn't be a surprise. The same has happened with our bear population in Oklahoma in my lifetime.
Lion are harder to trap because they prefer live game so hunting is more successful. The bad thing is they are protected here so they have to be taken under depredation laws or public safety laws. I'd say try Okla Wildlife Dept but don't be surprised if they are less than helpful. I'd pack heat and bust it. Make sure you do report the kill to them though otherwise they will claim you broke the law and fine you.
I contacted the game warden here and he said he couldn't set traps because of pets roaming the country. He also said he was swamped with varmit problems and if I saw it "take care of it" because it had let my daughter so close to it and was eating my poultry. It's getting the turkeys in broad daylight. I have set aside about 4 acres of trees and don't keep the brush down just for wild life. It has lot of deer and a wild turkey roost tree. I may have to clean it out if the cat hangs around.
My two grandsons also have dogs and one doesn't bother the poultry. The other is a huge German Shepard. I may bring them out for a while.

Last edited:
best snake trap- minnow trap- i need to get one- one tried to strangle our muscovy, Dave took care of it, then a smaller one started haunting us, he did relocate that one today after it wandered into the silky coop

Thank you for posting the minnow trap. I need to get mine out of the attic. I know they work!

Back
Top Bottom