***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Sorry to miss the last few days but looks like good advice was shared for those with questions.
Missed the Shawnee show too.

Roger's mother passed at 93 with cancer Sunday afternoon. We were able to keep her at home with the help of Hospice. In Loving Care from Shawnee provided wonderful assistance to our family and we so appreciate their service. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to miss the last few days but looks like good advice was shared for those with questions.

Roger's mother passed at 93 with cancer Sunday afternoon. We were able to keep her at home with the help of Hospice. In Loving Care from Shawnee provided wonderful assistance to our family and we so appreciate their service. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to hear
Prayers to the whole family

Heartfelt condolences for your loss!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your familys in my thoughts and heart this holiday season.

16 degrees Sunday morning with high of 26. Might need to do some extra stuff for the girls. I'm not sure if that's cold enough to turn a lamp on in the coop but that's close.
What are you all thoughts?

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. The support means a great deal to us.

@Matt in Okla as long as your coop protects your birds from direct drafts from the north, has no dampness, has comfortable roosts where birds can cover their feet, then you may not need a heat lamp.
In the hen house inside the barn, my big 5 gallon and 7 gallon water containers don't freeze until temps drop to the low teens. Then I will hang one red heat lamp 12 inches above the top of the 7 gallon waterer. The coop dimensions are 11 X 12 feet. There is a huge glass window on the south, deep litter floor and tin barn siding and roof with no insulation. The 11 x12 brooder room is connected beside it also in the barn.

The outside pens have smaller coops that are solid plywood walls on the north, east, west and roof with shingle roofing. The south is open with a 1/8 thick plastic panel attached in winter, leaving a 15" X 40" verticle opening at each end. The roosts are 2x4 set wide side up...ground is covered by deep litter. No heat is ever added. Water is in rubber tubs, easy to dump outside the coop, feeder hangs inside the coop.
I also have several crate coops that receive no heat. I drop the vent door on the south side in rainy or cold weather.

Last edited:
I have a light over my water on a timer to come on at 4.30 or 5. So it starts thawing before they get up and I don't have to leave a light on all night. I don't worry about the temp for the chickens as long as their is a decent coop like Nana was saying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom