***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Howdy Okie chicken peeps! I'm Karen. I've been reading these forums for a couple of years now, but I just joined a year ago. We raise mostly Orpingtons, but we also have a few different breeds in our free range flock. We also raise and butcher meat birds for our freezer.
I just put a few eggs in the incubator Saturday. I'm testing the eggs from a couple of breeding pens. I love hatching chicks, but I don't like the waiting!

caf.gif

Haven't been online much. This Christmas break turned into a marathon on the couch for me. I tore the ligament on the inside side of my right leg, and I'm on crutches and wearing a knee brace for the next three weeks. I tripped over our barn cats on Christmas Even when I attempted to move unwrapped packages from my truck to the house.

My birds are doing great, though they are impatient with me because I'm not getting them fed as quickly as they'd like. I'm enjoying the slower pace, as it's given me more time to visit with each bird.

I have a really chunky hen (white rock) who thinks she's a celebrity. She's always trying to get in the photo when she sees my camera.

Howdy Okie chicken peeps! I'm Karen. I've been reading these forums for a couple of years now, but I just joined a year ago. We raise mostly Orpingtons, but we also have a few different breeds in our free range flock. We also raise and butcher meat birds for our freezer.
I just put a few eggs in the incubator Saturday. I'm testing the eggs from a couple of breeding pens. I love hatching chicks, but I don't like the waiting!
:caf

:welcome and good luck with your hatch.

Oh gosh! Silver laced Orps are beautiful! Good luck with the hatch. Where did you get your breeding chickens from, if I can ask?

My girls are from Elite Beaks right here in Oklahoma. Unfortunately someone stole most of the breeding roosters from the breeding pens at Elite Beaks so they aren't selling chickens to the public right now. My rooster is from Amy Chastain in Florida. I probably could have found a rooster here in OK, but the one I bought was an awesome looking bird with the bloodlines I wanted. I always try to find the best birds possible for breeding stock. The bloodlines are GreenFire Farms and Ewe Crazy. This will be the first time for me to hatch eggs from my Silver Laced Orps!
I also threw in a few Jubilee Orp eggs from the Jubilee breeding pen. I haven't seen them breeding lately tho so I'm not expecting much from those eggs.
My husband likes the offspring from a Jubilee rooster and Buff Orp hens. I recently set up a breeding pen for those, but they aren't breeding much yet. I'm really looking forward to spring when all of my roosters will get busy breeding my hens so I can have plenty of fertile eggs to hatch.

Last edited:
Haven't been online much. This Christmas break turned into a marathon on the couch for me. I tore the ligament on the inside side of my right leg, and I'm on crutches and wearing a knee brace for the next three weeks. I tripped over our barn cats on Christmas Even when I attempted to move unwrapped packages from my truck to the house. My birds are doing great, though they are impatient with me because I'm not getting them fed as quickly as they'd like. I'm enjoying the slower pace, as it's given me more time to visit with each bird. I have a really chunky hen (white rock) who thinks she's a celebrity. She's always trying to get in the photo when she sees my camera.
Coral, so sorry to hear about your knee. That is a bummer for sure! Pretty hen deserves to have her picture taken.

Back
Top Bottom