***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Nana, I skipped Norman this year.  Got sick after Shawnee because of the heavy dust in the sales room, and had a hard time overcoming it, even with antibiotics and Prednisone.  Decided not to risk stirring it up again. 

Was a good thing, in a way, because we've been extremely busy.  Our insurance company didn't like our overgrown yard and required we complete a number of smallish but time consuming things in order to keep our homeowner's insurance.  Who knew they'd care about a yard way out in the country like we are?  We'd been trying to "tame" this neglected yard ourselves, but had to face the fact it was more than we could do.  Hired a couple of really nice young neighbors, who are working hard in their time off their full-time jobs to get it in shape.  We've already gone far beyond what the insurance required because we decided we might as well get it in really good shape.  I'm working hard on it too.  Vashi isn't an outdoors guy, but does far more than his share of the work indoors. Maybe in another month we'll have it in really good shape.

Wow! Glad you are better. Had no idea an insurance company would make those demands.

We got a letter this month from Roger's mother's insurance telling us that since her death, the insurance would go up on the house because we dropped the car insurance when the title was transferred. That changed her from a multi policy to a single policy. The renewal is in March.
The attorney had told us to list the house as an estate holding until we finish probate.

Insurance companies send out random inspectors, they are looking for yard issues, and upkeep issues (paint / roofing / stair railing etc..) and dogs on the no no list.

I have baby chicks, they are 4 days old today, only 4 though they are from Stripey Butt, my naked boy so all carriers. They are from hens he was able to mount himself, but not from any of the cross girls I am wanting.

Yes, an "inspector" came out and took pictures in November of 2015, and the company sent us a cancellation notice right at Christmas time THIS YEAR because we hadn't responded to their "previous request"--there had been no previous request (nor had our agent received any information) or the work would have been done a year ago. The insurance company also required we add more railing to our back porch, which they labeled the front porch. We hadn't wanted to do so because it is rather hard to get large things (refrigerators, sofas, etc.) into our house and the railing makes it more difficult. Ours is a very nice 20-year-old double-wide mobile home on two fenced acres out in the country, and our agent said companies often don't want to renew insurance on older mobile homes.

Our agent said they consider the overgrown condition of a property a lack of "Pride of Ownership," and expect that the inside of the home looks like the outside. We had him come inside our home--we've added really nice "real" hardwood floors and various other upgrades--and our home is beautiful insid--he took a number of pictures. I also showed him many photos I'd taken of the yard during the growing season when everything is leafed out and/or blooming so he could see there is "pride of ownership." He himself was very impressed and sent the insurance company many of those photos in addition to the few specific things they'd required on the outside. He had a couple of other insurance companies lined up to insure us in case the company refused to continue the policy exactly as it has always been, because we are "grandfathered in" on several coverages that are not available otherwise. Fortunately, he was able to get it continued as it was. Very stressful situation because time was so short and acceptance uncertain.

:welcome tzdok. So glad you have joined us.
What chickens do you have?

Thanks for the welcome. I've got a RIR Rooster, 4 BR pullets,3BR hens, 2 cinnamon queens, 22 CR-X meat pullets and a hand full of straight run bantam chicks from Atwoods. I've kind of jumped in with both feet in the chicken business. Lol

Thanks for the welcome. I've got a RIR Rooster, 4 BR pullets,3BR hens, 2 cinnamon queens, 22 CR-X meat pullets and a hand full of straight run bantam chicks from Atwoods. I've kind of jumped in with both feet in the chicken business. Lol
welcome to BYC and chicken keeping! It definitely sounds like you've got a good, big bunch in your hands lol!

Some pics of my flock

Back
Top Bottom