***OKIES in the BYC III ***

NanaKat where in Norman does your husband get the $10/load mulch? I want to plant some tomatoes but my soil is crap.

My broody's nest got overrun with chickens today and one of the eggs broke on the others. Are the eggs safe?? Should I wash them off or give her all new eggs?

i'd wipe them off gently, and give them back to the hen, i also would section off an area for the hen so she can brood without being tromped on, i move broodies inside, i know that isn't always an option though
Hope you'll get a chance to dry out!
we are, the smaller runs are still pretty soggy - glad we don't see this very often

Ok this morning I pulled the nesting boxes and they had built a nest under it despite the fact that I have a tractor I move every 3 days. I shop vacuumed them suckers and cleaned it all out. I'm guessing it's dry and predator free cause the girls eat all other bugs

Update on the ant issue:
I've had to use poison. It was out of control.
Hate to but has no choice.

NanaKat where in Norman does your husband get the $10/load mulch? I want to plant some tomatoes but my soil is crap.

Not sure who you mean...we make our own compost from spent hay, cow manure, chicken litter and garden waste.

:eek: Our electric went off a little before 5pm and fortunately finally came back on a little after 7pm.
With eggs in the hatcher and eggs in two incubators, 35 chicks in one brooder, 50 in another, and 8 ducklings in a brooder, I was scrambling to keep the temperatures going!
Grabbed hand warmers and hot water bottles for the brooders. Then placed towels around and on top of the styrofoam incubator to insulate. Decided not to do anything with the wooden cabinet hatcher....that cabinet is 4.5 feet X 2 feet X 4 feet....figured it would hold temp better if I didn't open the door.
Temps in the incubators dropped only 10 degrees, the hatcher dropped only 12 degrees and the babies were piled, but quiet.
Hopefully the hatching eggs weren't too cold and will hatch without too much trouble. The incubating eggs were set three days ago and should tolerate the cool down.
:th

There recent high winds knocked the power off but the babies have hatched! More than I thought would. Candling the eggs in the styrofoam incubators this morning. Pictures coming soon.
But here are my baby ducks...

And some of the juveniles

Last edited:
The place in Norman where you can get compost is off of HWY 9 on Lindsey on the west side of the road if I'm remembering correctly. I don't have an address. My husband is the one who stops and gets it after work. He gets a full pick-up truck bed full for $10. When the compost is gone you can usually still get mulch.

Last edited:
Not sure who you mean...we make our own compost from spent hay, cow manure, chicken litter and garden waste.
There recent high winds knocked the power off but the babies have hatched! More than I thought would. Candling the eggs in the styrofoam incubators this morning. Pictures coming soon.
But here are my baby ducks...

And some of the juveniles

Oh how adorable, how many hatched?! What are the little black and white chicks? Love the color!

Back
Top Bottom