***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It was suggested that I post this here as well since it's more local. If there's a better place for it, please let me know and I will put it there instead. Also posted here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ing-northeast-oklahoma.1221358/#post-19551811

In a rough spot with my LGD and sadly, I need to find him a new home where he can be safe without having to be tied up or penned up. As stated in that post, we've had trouble with unreasonable neighbors that refuse to even try to talk about the situation and come up with any kind of compromise. It's just straight up threats of shooting him and nothing else. I've even offered to bring him over on leash for them to meet him and get to know him and that was a no go. Other neighbors have had the same threats and have had to tie their dogs or pen them up as well.

He isn't being aggressive, not chasing their horses or digging out trash or digging holes in their yard or anything of that nature. That would be understandable and I would deal with it but he isn't and this is the icing on the cake of 30+ years of unreasonable behavior from them and a dog just doing what comes natural to his breed is paying for it.

He's currently on a 40ft run between duck pens where he can be safe but still keep an eye on his flock. I do have another LGD that minds the in ground fence and stays where she is safe but he doesn't mind it at all. We've repeated the training several times, put on the longer prongs, upped the intensity, everything. We've tried everything short of putting up no-climb horse fence around the entire property which is not feasible any time soon.

He was born December 2016 to working parents and has been around all manner of livestock since he was born. He's been with us since Feb 2017 and has never "played" with any of the birds or been rough with them. He shares his dog food with them and breaks up any scuffles in the yard. We've not lost a single bird to a predator or even seen any signs of anything with him on the job. He will occasionally snag an egg but doesn't go into the nests to get them. He sees them as fair game if we drop one or a hen lays one out in the open. He does dig in the dirt for a cool spot when it's really hot but other than that, not a digger. He doesn't dig through trash or dig under fences. He just roams during the day and stays real close at night. He's super playful and loves to wrestle with other dogs. He will let my birds walk all over him and the geese bite him often and he never bats an eye.

I'm hoping someone can give him a safer home where he doesn't have to be tied up. We're near the Tulsa/Stillwater area.
newt 1.jpg newt 2.jpg

I sure hope you find him a home. I live in town and am sure my short 4 foot page wire fence would not even slow him down.
It was suggested that I post this here as well since it's more local. If there's a better place for it, please let me know and I will put it there instead. Also posted here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ing-northeast-oklahoma.1221358/#post-19551811

In a rough spot with my LGD and sadly, I need to find him a new home where he can be safe without having to be tied up or penned up. As stated in that post, we've had trouble with unreasonable neighbors that refuse to even try to talk about the situation and come up with any kind of compromise. It's just straight up threats of shooting him and nothing else. I've even offered to bring him over on leash for them to meet him and get to know him and that was a no go. Other neighbors have had the same threats and have had to tie their dogs or pen them up as well.

He isn't being aggressive, not chasing their horses or digging out trash or digging holes in their yard or anything of that nature. That would be understandable and I would deal with it but he isn't and this is the icing on the cake of 30+ years of unreasonable behavior from them and a dog just doing what comes natural to his breed is paying for it.

He's currently on a 40ft run between duck pens where he can be safe but still keep an eye on his flock. I do have another LGD that minds the in ground fence and stays where she is safe but he doesn't mind it at all. We've repeated the training several times, put on the longer prongs, upped the intensity, everything. We've tried everything short of putting up no-climb horse fence around the entire property which is not feasible any time soon.

He was born December 2016 to working parents and has been around all manner of livestock since he was born. He's been with us since Feb 2017 and has never "played" with any of the birds or been rough with them. He shares his dog food with them and breaks up any scuffles in the yard. We've not lost a single bird to a predator or even seen any signs of anything with him on the job. He will occasionally snag an egg but doesn't go into the nests to get them. He sees them as fair game if we drop one or a hen lays one out in the open. He does dig in the dirt for a cool spot when it's really hot but other than that, not a digger. He doesn't dig through trash or dig under fences. He just roams during the day and stays real close at night. He's super playful and loves to wrestle with other dogs. He will let my birds walk all over him and the geese bite him often and he never bats an eye.

I'm hoping someone can give him a safer home where he doesn't have to be tied up. We're near the Tulsa/Stillwater area.
View attachment 1290966 View attachment 1290967

Ok, first off I'm located northeast Oklahoma and I've been switching from game chickens to layers/ dual use. I am having a difficult time tracking down sources of Light Sussex chickens.
I was hoping that someone might just happen to know somebody that has a few or even a pair and I'll raise more later.
There are several hatcheries I've located ( SandHill, ChickenScratch...) that have them, but I'm looking at 25 or 16 chick minimums when I only need a roo and 5 hens. I really don't want to order so many extras with shipping when that's the only breed I can't source locally.
Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated. I currently have 17 chicks and only need to locate the Light Sussex and Speckled Sussex and roo to finish out the breeds I want to keep. The Speckled hens are available locally

Long thread,,, and I confess, I did not read it all,,,
I am looking for a rooster, hopefully close to me (Tulsa/Sapulpa area). I want a splash Americauna/EE Rooster nicely coloured with green legs.
I would like to find one about 2(+) YO, though I would take a nicely coloured Roo that is younger. I also have a post on the local CL https://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/d/splash-americauna-ee-rooster/6516751058.html hoping to turn one up.
I missed a free one in BA that I felt was too young, now i wish I had grabbed him,,,
Anyone have one of these guys ready for a new home?

Long thread,,, and I confess, I did not read it all,,,
I am looking for a rooster, hopefully close to me (Tulsa/Sapulpa area). I want a splash Americauna/EE Rooster nicely coloured with green legs.
I would like to find one about 2(+) YO, though I would take a nicely coloured Roo that is younger. I also have a post on the local CL https://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/d/splash-americauna-ee-rooster/6516751058.html hoping to turn one up.
I missed a free one in BA that I felt was too young, now i wish I had grabbed him,,,
Anyone have one of these guys ready for a new home?
Watch the Fayetteville Craigslist and OKC Craigslist if you are not already. I see the breed you want constantly . Colors and age vary. Sand springs has a 3 year old yesterday posted. Not sure if he is good for your color request though.
Good luck on your search, my search is like looking for big foot. No credible sightings

View attachment 1290966 View attachment 1290967

I'd like to offer a little bit different perspective and I hope you'll take it as kindly as possible. A number of years ago I got a house in the country with a little bit of land and quickly bought some sheep as I had grown up raising them and thoroughly enjoyed having them. My next door neighbors had a dog that was very nice and I would never have minded her visiting. One day, however, that dog who I don't believe had ever hurt or chased any animals, got with a pack of other neighborhood dogs (who probably were also normally nice, gentle animals) and they attacked my sheep, killing one, maiming one to the point that I had to put her down and injuring another severely. My sheep were in my backyard that was fully fenced, but someone else's dogs were able to find a way in and kill and hurt my animals because their owners did not have them fenced in or tied up.
What I'm saying is YOU know your dog is never going to hurt anything. The neighbor knows that most dog owners will say the same thing. They have animals THEY want/have to protect and understandably will do so by any means necessary.
I'm sorry but none of us knows what will happen when our sweet, loving dog/animal gets into unfamiliar circumstances. You said that he will take eggs on the ground, but you think that's fair game - what if your neighbors don't? You said he digs but not much - what if your neighbors think any digging is too much? You said he's playful and likes wrestling with other dogs - maybe you neighbor doesn't like playful dogs or ones that might look aggressive because they're being playful.
Having a pet of any kind means taking responsibility for it and if we're unable to then that pet should go to a different home. You're looking for a new home for him which is commendable however I wanted to add a different perspective for your neighbors. Maybe they're crummy, maybe they're not, but I'd probably do the same thing they're doing if a dog kept coming in my yard after I'd made it clear they weren't welcome.

Unfortunately I have poor pet owners around me, they get large dogs and let them run loose as they do cats. They do buy a lot of replacements,,, as if they are killing my birds, I kill them! And if the turd next door doesn't like it, I call the sheriff!

Since we've been talking about dogs, I have 6 lol, but 3 are fantastic escape artists! (What's nuts is 1 of those is my Emotional Support Dog who is a Perfect little girl any other time, in public or home!) So I was blessed with an Amazing landlord when we moved down to Lawton last August. He was fine with our quantity & breeds or dogs, which is just shy of miraculous (2 are Pitts) but he went a step further for us. I explained how my dogs enjoy hopping the fence (4ft chain link) & he said he'd go ahead and put in a 6' stockade if we'd cover 50% since it wasn't an upgrade he was planning on doing. I'm on SSI, $600 is huge for us to come up with, so he said hey just add $100 to the rent for 6mos! So we have a fantastic (escape proof!) privacy fence which is great since I've got a not so fantastic & nosey neighbor. There's kinda 2 points to this post: 1. Even my Trained & Wonderful ESD (basically a service dog but I never had her certified) can do unexpected things when they're around "bad influences" or "Peer Pressure" lol. Unfortunately even the Most reliable dog (or human) can do the unexpected and unbelievable at times. Tho I might Swear by my dogs behaviors, I can't Guarantee them ultimately.
2: idk what your financial situation is, but I know that several times churches or just random Kind people, have blessed others with things like home repairs or fencing just to help them keep their animals. There's a Fantastic fb group called Pay It Forward OKlahoma & Down On Your Luck in Oklahoma, also FB, & I've seen them donate many different things to help others. Perhaps you could get some tall Stockade fencing for a good sized secured area for your dog? Especially for His safety! I'm not a super religious person but I am a believer & the Lord does say "Ask & you shall receive!" There's also some really good "Rehoming" FB groups in Oklahoma, just ask for a decent Rehoming Fee! I would love to have a Great Pyranese someday but I'm over my max on dogs lol. I'm still trying to get the stuff together to make a chicken run & coop but I'm sure Someone will take him especially since he's good around livestock & birds! I wish you the best of luck!

Since we've been talking about dogs, I have 6 lol, but 3 are fantastic escape artists! (What's nuts is 1 of those is my Emotional Support Dog who is a Perfect little girl any other time, in public or home!) So I was blessed with an Amazing landlord when we moved down to Lawton last August. He was fine with our quantity & breeds or dogs, which is just shy of miraculous (2 are Pitts) but he went a step further for us. I explained how my dogs enjoy hopping the fence (4ft chain link) & he said he'd go ahead and put in a 6' stockade if we'd cover 50% since it wasn't an upgrade he was planning on doing. I'm on SSI, $600 is huge for us to come up with, so he said hey just add $100 to the rent for 6mos! So we have a fantastic (escape proof!) privacy fence which is great since I've got a not so fantastic & nosey neighbor. There's kinda 2 points to this post: 1. Even my Trained & Wonderful ESD (basically a service dog but I never had her certified) can do unexpected things when they're around "bad influences" or "Peer Pressure" lol. Unfortunately even the Most reliable dog (or human) can do the unexpected and unbelievable at times. Tho I might Swear by my dogs behaviors, I can't Guarantee them ultimately.
2: idk what your financial situation is, but I know that several times churches or just random Kind people, have blessed others with things like home repairs or fencing just to help them keep their animals. There's a Fantastic fb group called Pay It Forward OKlahoma & Down On Your Luck in Oklahoma, also FB, & I've seen them donate many different things to help others. Perhaps you could get some tall Stockade fencing for a good sized secured area for your dog? Especially for His safety! I'm not a super religious person but I am a believer & the Lord does say "Ask & you shall receive!" There's also some really good "Rehoming" FB groups in Oklahoma, just ask for a decent Rehoming Fee! I would love to have a Great Pyranese someday but I'm over my max on dogs lol. I'm still trying to get the stuff together to make a chicken run & coop but I'm sure Someone will take him especially since he's good around livestock & birds! I wish you the best of luck!
You sure lucked out with a landlord like that, doesn't get much better unless you own your own home.

Back
Top Bottom