***OKIES in the BYC III ***

ok guys, i lost a sweet hen today to a snake, i need ways to keep them out, she was a broody i was trying to break, and had no eggs. The coop has to be open during the day, its a metal coop, hot as heck in the summer- snake repellents? every year its a problem, but this is the first time i lost a hen to one, i need ideas? I tried minnow traps last year, didn't work- this guy was big, so a small trap won't work

ok guys, i lost a sweet hen today to a snake, i need ways to keep them out, she was a broody i was trying to break, and had no eggs. The coop has to be open during the day, its a metal coop, hot as heck in the summer- snake repellents? every year its a problem, but this is the first time i lost a hen to one, i need ideas? I tried minnow traps last year, didn't work- this guy was big, so a small trap won't work
I put out fake eggs, then shoot the snake as it tries to figure out what went wrong with its dinner. Kill it and cut out the egg and repeat.

I put out fake eggs, then shoot the snake as it tries to figure out what went wrong with its dinner. Kill it and cut out the egg and repeat.
fake eggs ordered, yup - poor henny didn't deserve that, and my live and let live attitude is gone now - i've unwrapped snakes from bantams, muscovies. Someone in the predator forum said rat snakes are different in that they will attack adult chickens, now i know :(

henny.jpg

fake eggs ordered, yup - poor henny didn't deserve that, and my live and let live attitude is gone now - i've unwrapped snakes from bantams, muscovies. Someone in the predator forum said rat snakes are different in that they will attack adult chickens, now i know :(

View attachment 2129686
It's bad enough if they go after eggs &/or chicks but to go after the hens is beyond despicable! I hate snakes!

It's bad enough if they go after eggs &/or chicks but to go after the hens is beyond despicable! I hate snakes!
i know, i always figured a few eggs, thats ok, not now - and i discovered today, my golden retriever does too! he has always been friends with any animal or person, well, he went crazy barking today, went out and checked, a racer snake was under the trash, he has somehow figured out snakes are up to no good.

I've heard you can use bird netting and wrap it loosely around the bottom of the coop/run. The snakes get wrapped up trying to get in. We had a scare about a week ago in the yard. Chickens were free ranging and puppy was following them. She found a pigmy rattle snake!

I've heard you can use bird netting and wrap it loosely around the bottom of the coop/run. The snakes get wrapped up trying to get in. We had a scare about a week ago in the yard. Chickens were free ranging and puppy was following them. She found a pigmy rattle snake!
Oh my!! That's scary! Yep the netting is working, caught 2. So for now that seems the most reliable. I need to take stock in bird net company :)

Oh my!! That's scary! Yep the netting is working, caught 2. So for now that seems the most reliable. I need to take stock in bird net company :)
Glad that is working. I probably need more netting for the same reason. I have chicks coming next month. I don't really mind rat snakes-like them much better than rats and usually just relocate when they are in the coop, but I'm out of golf balls LOL. The rattler got different treatment. The puppy likes snakes too much and I have kids. Luckily my son is a good shot.

Back
Top Bottom