***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Glad to have you on the thread and good luck with finding them good homes! Is anyone complaining about them? If you enjoy the boys, maybe you could get them crow collars and bribe your neighbors with eggs.
A few neighbors have asked if i had them but none outright complained, one even said he enjoyed it and used to have some but a neighbor called in on him.
But unfortunately i had an officer here the other day on an unrelated issue and he made sure we were aware that they arent allowed and he has chickens himself and has had to give accidental roos away before so he was very sympathetic.
Thankfully the duckwing is going to their forever home tomorrow. A lovely woman about 40 minutes from me contacted me and even sent me numerous short videos of where he would be staying and some of her other chickens and fowl to ease my worry.
My fiance had heard of rumors of cock fighting rings in a neighboring town and i was terrified my babies would be subjected to that or cooked into a dinner. 😰
But she has a wonderful home with lots of land that she lets the birds free range on anytime she is home to peek out the window and watch them, im so thankful that my roo will have such a good family.

A few neighbors have asked if i had them but none outright complained, one even said he enjoyed it and used to have some but a neighbor called in on him.
But unfortunately i had an officer here the other day on an unrelated issue and he made sure we were aware that they arent allowed and he has chickens himself and has had to give accidental roos away before so he was very sympathetic.
Thankfully the duckwing is going to their forever home tomorrow. A lovely woman about 40 minutes from me contacted me and even sent me numerous short videos of where he would be staying and some of her other chickens and fowl to ease my worry.
My fiance had heard of rumors of cock fighting rings in a neighboring town and i was terrified my babies would be subjected to that or cooked into a dinner. 😰
But she has a wonderful home with lots of land that she lets the birds free range on anytime she is home to peek out the window and watch them, im so thankful that my roo will have such a good family.
make sure you charge a rehoming fee so he gets a good home, i have 13 roosters i won't rehome, but people have told me that is a good way to make sure they get a good home. I would emphasise you need a pet home. You might look into crow collars, sadly dogs are allowed and louder than roosters are, but roosters are illegal in many places.

Im in owasso Oklahoma. Its north of tulsa in the eastern part of the state. The duckwing has found his home, the new owner gas sent me numerous videos over facebook showing how he is adjusting. The cochin is still available if you need a new boy in your flock.
I have at least a dark brahma roo among my young ones, but thanks. I missed Owasso, but know where is is. I have family from Jenks.

This has really been the year of the snakes! I knew the temporary run for the babies wasn't 100% secure, but letting them have some freedom was a risk worth taking. Found this in with them with my little blue laced red Wyandotte inside. Found out my snake grabber is dual purpose. Bludgeon to death and then extract!

The fool in the coop waiting for the girls to come lay eggs gets a pass for now. My girls have volunteered to lay right by my front porch and I've decided to encourage it. I can't keep snakes out of the coop if I'm letting them free range.

I'm going to go back with wire and duct tape and make some more adjustments on the playpen. Got some more work done on the new coop floor. This adds some urgency!

Anybody use 1 inch hardware cloth on coops and runs? Our local hardware store sells 50 foot rolls of 4 foot height for $43. I think 19 gauge. Seems like a steal if the holes are small enough! They may have some in stock tomorrow.

Plus I have 2 new soccer goal nets I found at goodwill. Maybe i can wrap them around and tangle up any other snakes that come after my babies.

How about you guys @artsyrobin, @NanaKat, @Pennys Mama, and others? Seeing more snakes?
View attachment 2244985View attachment 2244979View attachment 2244985View attachment 2244988
Sorry this reply is so late, I've been on Vacation the last 3+ weeks. I got back yesterday and immediately checked on my girls (hens, roo, guinea, quailies) & found a 6 ft long snake with a belly full of chicks/chickens! I "twenty-gauged" him in two. I HATE snakes!

Hi all I'm new to this thread but happy to find it. I live in Catoosa and have 8 chickens, 6 girls and 2 boys 22weeks old
Hey there, I just joined as well! I'm in the Tulsa area currently. I've been raising rabbits, worms, and bsfl due a bit and I'm stoked to finally be in a place to add some birds. I think I'm getting ducks first, but I'm hoping to have ducks and chickens by this fall.

Sorry this reply is so late, I've been on Vacation the last 3+ weeks. I got back yesterday and immediately checked on my girls (hens, roo, guinea, quailies) & found a 6 ft long snake with a belly full of chicks/chickens! I "twenty-gauged" him in two. I HATE snakes!
I am so sorry! can you but bird netting around, that has been the best thing for them here. I also put ceramic eggs out.

Back
Top Bottom