***OKIES in the BYC III ***

This year my broody girls may end up having a higher % on hatch rates than my incubators. There are 7 hens in the barn that refuse to break even though I am collecting eggs twice a day. I’m going to give them marked eggs and let them cover the eggs.
So far the first incubator hatch produced 4 chicks out of 19 in lockdown and this last hatch was 1 chick out of 24 in lockdown.
I’m not using my cabinet GQF this year because of the remodel. The electrician will be replacing breaker boxes at the farm house. The GQF is too big to move to the rent house where we are staying during the remodel so I’m depending on my Little Giant and the two Hovabators. I am way behind my numbers for this year.

The Bubbie has been enjoying being outside the past two days. We walk from the barn stall to the enclosure and then go back to the stall for the night. Bubbie will follow anyone with a milk bottle anywhere. He is wearing a halter. We attach a leash but Bubbie is so close on your heels he could wear your shoes.

I gave my 2 girls a dozen each yesterday. So far, so good. Made eggplant parmesan for dinner. I'm excited to use my own eggplants and tomatoes next time!

Attachments

• 20210603_202705.jpg
    20210603_202705.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 4
Now my other BLRW is acting broody. Plus 2 of the 4 older girls. My first Wyandotte is about half way done (day 10 or so). The other chicken ate all her eggs, so she has lost her broody privileges for good. Straw bale and container gardens are going well, but the war with the squash bugs and aphids has begun. Also-It is getting warm around here!

Hi Okies,

I think I'm ready for this storm tonight if the wind doesn't tear up the garden too much. Most things are pretty happy, especially the squash bugs LOL. I sprayed with neem and insecticidal soap yesterday. I'm about to see how effective that was. Here's my garden haul from yesterday. Finally have some tomatoes turning red. Even the ones that were supposed to be YELLOW pear ones.
20210709_193439.jpg

@NanaKat, you were right about the Wyandottes being good mothers. Both are doing well with their little broods.
20210629_100218.jpg

@Al Capon, I'd love to hear what you think of the Newcastle auction if you go that route with your roosters. I should probably stay away though.....

Have a great day all!

I have an Easter egger and an Andalusian who have been co-brooding. Babies are set to hatch Sunday or so. I keep going back and forth between separating the eggs into 2 clutches and moving one girl into another cage and letting them co-parent.

Back
Top Bottom