***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
You go through 50 lbs of food in a week!!!!
ep.gif
How many chickens do you have?

I think there's right at about 50 here, 80% of them are around 5 mo old . Do you think I'm over feeding?
Edit: But it was YOU all who taught me chicken math. And when you take that into account I have.... negative 4 chickens.
smile.png

Last edited:
I was at work today and I really need to clarify something, especially for those that live in and around Muskogee, there seems to be some confusion on the subject ............................................ Gravity really is more of a rule then a suggestion!

Quote:
Do you have a lot of waste from your feeders?

I really don't have enough experience to know if you are over feeding or not. We have 20 and 2 50 lb bags goes us for right at 2 months sometimes a little more or less depending on how much other stuff they get.

We just adjusted our feeders so there is a lot less waste, I'm interested to see if it makes a difference in how much feed we buy. I supplement a lot w/ garden / greens / bugs / fermented or sprouted oats too though. We lost our supply of free restaurant waste, but I really wasn't all that sad about it, even though it was free it really wasn't that healthy for them.

Quote:
You are right Matt. They told me the barrels will hold 340 lbs of feed. Thats like almost 7 bags of feed bringing the cost down to 10 something a bag. Only thing I havent figured out how I will handle the barrels here when I go to unload. Great feed. If buying at Harrah and driving any distance call them at 405-454-0044 to make sure they have it mixed. Their equipment is old and some days they are sold out.

Boy, i guarantee it, i haven't figured out how to unload a fifty gallon drum of feed yet either.

When I used to haul freight, I would roll drums off onto a couple of tires. I got ahead of myself, and just read where you have to provide your own barrels, my way wouldn't work then. I need to read ahead before answering.

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
Now THAT would make Stella - one spoiled puppy.
lau.gif

On a more serious note - hugs and prayers for you and your daughter as she returns to her military basic training.
hugs.gif

frow.gif

on the subject of feed- those that use pellets, does it last longer? we go through 150 lbs of crumble a month... thats 16 LF, 8 banties, the broodies and their 'kids', guineas, ducks, pair of geese... i guess the total is around 40....

Kass- fill in the blanks...
lau.gif
i did discover that goose poo can be as dangerous as stepping on ice.....
ep.gif

Morning

I'm fighting off a cold today. I had oranges, dry toast, and herbal tea for breakfast. The chickens and ducks got rice cooked in milk as a warm up. They're faring better in the cold weather than I am.

Regarding feed barrels, how does one get the last ten pounds of feed out of the barrel? I keep the goats' mixed grain in three bags, and the bags go into a tall trash can on wheels. When the top bag is empty I mix a new batch and place it under the other two bags. That way the grain if fed in the order it was mixed, and I only have to bend and lift once every two weeks. I'm trying to visualize scooping loose grain out of the bottom of a deep, wide barrel.

Back
Top Bottom