***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Poco, is that rooster etched in copper or some metal? I LOVE things like that! Wow, I don't think I have anyone in my life who likes me enough to make me something like that. It's beautiful.

Quote:
Yea, they feel good as far as I can tell , their legs are nice and yellow-that means they'll start laying soon? Interesting. 1 of them has rattled breathing so I started her on Tylan 50 injections. I *really* like them a lot. I feel like I've gotten so lucky lately with birds I've gotten.

Good that they have nice yellow legs. Some hatchery Orloffs show up with white legs, which I suspect came from outcrosses to spangled sussex.
I have noticed the breed acquires respiratory issues pretty easily. We have such a limited genetic pool here in the US. It is something I will be working on over the next few years. I have some broodstock to work with, if they survive the winter.
Orloff are winter layers, which is why I said they should be laying soon.
smile.png

She said she got them from a friend when they were babies but that's all I know about their history. Luckily hatchery birds are more than welcome here
smile.png
Everyone here is still laying, I've got eggs coming out my ears. I kept expecting them to quit laying when it got darker earlier but instead 4 of the pullets *started laying.

Quote:
The rooster was created using a scratch board. A scratch board is made of heavy cardboard. The cardboard has a metal-colored coating: in this case it's silver. The metal-colored coating is covered with a layer of black ink. When one scratches into the ink, the underlying color is revealed. Scratchboard is an unforgiving medium. Every line must be planned because there is no way to erase. That's why I said earlier that the rooster photos I e-mailed were probably used as drawing models. It may have only taken three class periods to complete the scratch board, but there would have been more than ten practice drawings on paper first.

I'm not good at scratch board because when I draw I use my eraser more than I use the graphite end of my pencil
wink.png
I had a college professor who told me erasing indicated a lack of confidence when drawing. He described one of my preliminary drawings as a "sketchy mess." I told him I was confident I'd find the right line eventually, but I may have to draw eight or ten lines before the right line shows up. I don't erase until I know I've got the right line on my paper. The wrong lines are there showing me where not to draw again, so I leave them until the majority of a drawing is complete. If lines are lightly drawn, they are easy to erase cleanly, so in the end only the artist knows there were a lot of lines erased.

Edited for sloppy spelling.

Last edited:
Good Morning!~

Loved the picture POCO, your grand daughter did a great job on it.
Teach good to see you are behaving or at least Cowboy & Okla are keeping you in line.

Back
Top Bottom