***OKIES in the BYC III ***

so if the keets get picked off by predators, how do they do it in the wild? i don't think my guinea hen would attack me, but i'm not sure.... they are all fairly tame and have a nest under the eve of the barn, don't want to betray her trust...

meanwhile, the saga of boaz and ruth the seramas- i have moved ruth inside, boaz had her hiding- so, i am wondering, if i got him an older serama hen, would she teach him his manners?

What kind of guinea is that??? I never have seen a blue skinned one like that, except maybe in zoos.
I need to go back and edit my post to confess to the "internet guinea photo" I submitted - it is something called a "helmeted Guinea fowl" Here is info on the photo and I will also edit my original post:

Caption: Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris) close-up showing its brightly-colored head and neck, Kruger National Park, South Africa.
00a9.png
Scotch Macaskill

so if the keets get picked off by predators, how do they do it in the wild? i don't think my guinea hen would attack me, but i'm not sure.... they are all fairly tame and have a nest under the eve of the barn, don't want to betray her trust...
meanwhile, the saga of boaz and ruth the seramas- i have moved ruth inside, boaz had her hiding- so, i am wondering, if i got him an older serama hen, would she teach him his manners?
These 2 I have aren't tame at all so there's no trust to betray :)
Why a Serama hen? Serama hens seem so much more passive than a lot of other breeds. Get him a nice strong-minded Old English Game Bantam. They're the same size as Seramas and while they're not mean, they're not door mats either. I suppose if you were wanting to hatch babies that wouldn't work but you might give it some thought.

I have seen a few blue headed guineas but never that blue! So pretty!

Went by Michaels today. Was an egg hunt for DD. she collected eggs for an hour or so it seemed! Imagine she will try to set them tonight so in 3 wks we will have a bunch of mystery chicks.

Michael said no Newcastle sale this wk! Oh my. We will have LOADS of keets!! Imagine we will sale some locally. Also snapped a pic with my phone of a roo mike said came from the same blood lines as the games DD bought this weekend.
a6934895-ab0f-a2da.jpg

He looks much prettier in person. When I upload photos with this ap I tell it to do a small pic, but not sure if it makes a difference or not. If it comes out to small lmk & I can try again.

I tell you how bad this addiction is. Before long you start taking advantage of the poor little broody hens. The blue asil that I posted 21 days ago as going right back to brooding when I took her chicks away. I put 8 more eggs under her and today had 8 new chicks. I am not going to tell you guys that I thought seriously about setting another batch under her. (but I did) I decided even in my state of addiction she needed a break. besides I didnt have any eggs to set today and have 3 more hens on eggs.
The hatch rates in my incubator aren't very good and I'm not sure where to start. For hatching eggs in the bottom I improved the humidity with a sponge in the water pan. But that makes it too high for the egges in the 3 trays above. guess i need a little styrofoam one to use as a hatcher.
They only eggs that are hatching well are the Self-Blues, the ones I most wanted to work on this year. I sure would like more Mille Fleurs too though. I have got plenty of broody girls so maybe I should let them incubate for me. They let me lift them right off the nest and may complain but rarely peck. Cochins are such sweeties.
love.gif

Anyone have any Japanese Cochin Roosters? We got one from POOPS and it was my Daughters. She had named him Jumpanese. Well he somehow got out of the run and she witnessed our Daschund getting him and killing him. She is heartbroken!! He wasn't very old. He still had a few down feathers. I can't remember who I got him from.

Anyone have any Japanese Cochin Roosters? We got one from POOPS and it was my Daughters. She had named him Jumpanese. Well he somehow got out of the run and she witnessed our Daschund getting him and killing him. She is heartbroken!! He wasn't very old. He still had a few down feathers. I can't remember who I got him from.
I am sorry
hugs.gif
that is horrible that your daughter witnessed it too. I have a chicken eating doxy also, I have him where he tolerates them as long as they stay in their part of the yard, but have no doubt if any get in his yard he would do the same.

Back
Top Bottom