***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Oreo and his haram of "sister wives" are going to be parents, and their offspring are going to be yankees. A BYCer from NY wanted some hatching eggs from them. I just put them in the mail today, hope she posts lots of pics so I can see what they will look like when I finally hatch some out.

Morning all, wanted to pop in to say hello and welcome to all the newbies. My idea of cutting the hours back a bit hasn't worked out actually ended up working more than before. This is really cutting into my chicken time.
I did get the Columbian rosecomb going. The first ones are about 8 weeks old and feathering in real well, strong on color will have to see how the rest of them develop.

Everyone have a good day, I'm off and running.
I know you are geared for high speed Carl, but slow down. You will get old way before your supposed to. Besides, we miss you on here.

Inside for a break before going back out to run the weed wacker and hoe the corn rows. And need to pick peas. Spent the morning weeding the onions and running water to the beds. Have a few more things to plant too.
Going to put a pork roast on for dinner tonight. Peas and new potatoes, steamed brocolli and yellow squash plus a salad from the garden. I love my garden!!!
Think I'll let the broodie hens out with their chicks later this afternoon and sit in the shade and watch them.

Quote: Congrats on the Columbian Rosecombs... and ...amen to taking it easy...we do miss you.

Tried to call & see if there would be a porter hill auction saturday, but didn't get an answer. If there is an auction we may take 20 or so keets & see if things are going smoother. Will depend on if we have our rental cleaned & painted by auction time.

Been cleaning brooders & raked up a bunch of old hay in the barn. I was roasting hot! I know that silkie hen needs to be moved. The girls & I can't move the coop she is in on our own. DH won't be home until the weekend so we may have to get creative & figure something out. The coop she is in is not designed for her to brood chicks so maybe we will just move her & the eggs to a more practical location. I am sure when Taron gets home from volleyball practice she will decide the best thing for the silkie & the eggs.
Taron said she thought there was a dz eggs in the nest & she wanted to put some other eggs under her last night! I tried my best to explain that the silkie was only so big & could only keep so many eggs warm at a time.
Alexis helped me move some chicks around & she said 2 jumped out before she closed the door. The girl had me searching all over the barn with a flashlight for about an hour. I asked her to count & make sure the chick really was missing. She said she counted. Finally I counted -- no missing chick. I had been searching for a blue game that was already where it belonged. Now I am cooling off for a bit then we will be back to chores.

Hi Carah, I did kinda over do it yesterday and I have rested most of today and do feel some better, we had to get the pens done yesterday so we could get chicks out of the brooders, started with 105 chicks, have 90 left I think, we did get them moved and they are doing fine. Thank you for your concern, I am glad I got the Internet back at home so I can jump on when I want, love going to the library but it was costing a lot in gas even when I had eggs to deliver, speaking of eggs, I am getting over run with eggs right now, how is everyone dealing with their overload of eggs, my final option here is to feed them to the pigs, but first I try to keep them rotated out as I sell them, not letting any get over two weeks old in the fridge that I sell, we eat most of the dirty eggs and cracked ones, any other ideas out there???? Lynn
jumpy.gif
cool.png

Last edited:
I've been cleaning the dubia colony and am seriously rethinking putting them in a super colony in an adjusted freezer, I think a large aquarium is all I want to clean in one day! I'm thinking a couple of medium to large aquariums would do better at least for me.

Inside for a break before going back out to run the weed wacker and hoe the corn rows. And need to pick peas. Spent the morning weeding the onions and running water to the beds. Have a few more things to plant too.
Going to put a pork roast on for dinner tonight. Peas and new potatoes, steamed brocolli and yellow squash plus a salad from the garden. I love my garden!!!
Think I'll let the broodie hens out with their chicks later this afternoon and sit in the shade and watch them.

Congrats on the Columbian Rosecombs... and ...amen to taking it easy...we do miss you.

NanaKat - since you are working so hard and being so productive (wow!), I think I need to slack off a little bit more to keep the universe balanced...

Greybear - I just read your post about overdoing it a bit yesterday - take care of yourself, Friend. I'll see you in a bit. (I'm going to pick up eggs for the broody at Greybear's!)

NanaKat - since you are working so hard and being so productive (wow!), I think I need to slack off a little bit more to keep the universe balanced...
i allready have the "balance" thing taken care of beth, i havent even gotten completely dressed today.
celebrate.gif

i'll leave the rest to everyones imagination!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom