Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks Maribeth! Those pens make excellent bird runs! I wish that one wasn't so high priced though. Gerald and I found 2 of them last week at a garage sale in Mustang ... 2 pens for $110! Excellent find! All we do is put them together, add bird netting on top, put shelters in and old barn metal on the sides to keep chicken killin' varmints out, and the birds are then added. I need more shade trees to put more pens under
barnie.gif

Teach, we're thinking of your nephew. He'll surely be fine. You take care and drink lots of fluids ... man, you could probably win a sweatin' contest ... you hot thing!
wink.png

Hi all! Happy 4th to everyone!

Poulrty and Bees thanks for the info on the cement auction, I'm hoping hubby will take me. Kinda hard to tell he really likes blowing things up on the 4th. But it may be early enough to do both.
ya.gif

Everyone have a safe and happy 4th!!!

Well mike is fiddling with the A/C. I think we should be playing TAPS. Mike is ever hopeful.

Teach, praying that your nephew is doing okie dokie by now and well on the way to recovery.

I think I'm just gonna go back to bed.....

Nephew update - all is well...he has like 7 staples in him and got to know a nurse...he figured that you should know a little something about a person that is about to stick something up your hind end!
wink.png
Yup...he has alot of is uncle in him! He is Fightin' Texas Aggie as well WHOOP!!! He is headed home here in a little bit.

dachsunds - I stil have pigeons...I have Indian fantails, Cappuchines, Lahores, Utility Kings and pairs of swallows, WOE, rollers, ice, classic frills, and my buddies German beauty homers. They are over crowded right now so my baby production is not good. Once my bid gets his stuff in order things will get better....Might be moving some birds around though to see what I can do.

I have a problem, I was given 7000 pounds of commercial finisher chicken feed.
I wondering is how to store it. I can buy 4 of the 2 ton cloth bags cheap (used but good $40 each). But what can I feed it too? And where the hick you store them. But this is$2,000 worth of feed for going and get it which it is 20 miles away. And it has to be out by Sunday, they will load it for me.
I you I can't feed it to the turkeys. But might have to order some range chickens to feed it too.

Last edited:
Quote:
I store my feed in metal 55 gallon barrels with lids, to keep out the mice. One 55 gallon barrel will hold 300 lbs of feed.

Why can't you feed it to turkeys? If it is because of the protein level, can you mix it with something to get to the correct level of protein for turkeys?

Since I just feed for nourishment and not for growth, I feed my 10 Narragansett turkeys the same feed that I feed my laying hens - either a 15% or 20% laying pellet. depending on where I buy it.

If you store it in cloth bags, you may want to set up a perimeter of poison traps around it, so that the mice and rats don't get into it. Also, you will likely have meal moths at this time of year, so you don't want to plan on storing it for a lengthy time, but should use it instead.

Sounds like you have a good kind of challenge - not a problem. I am happy for you.
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

Quote:
I store my feed in metal 55 gallon barrels with lids, to keep out the mice. One 55 gallon barrel will hold 300 lbs of feed.

Why can't you feed it to turkeys? If it is because of the protein level, can you mix it with something to get to the correct level of protein for turkeys?

Since I just feed for nourishment and not for growth, I feed my 10 Narragansett turkeys the same feed that I feed my laying hens - either a 15% or 20% laying pellet. depending on where I buy it.

If you store it in cloth bags, you may want to set up a perimeter of poison traps around it, so that the mice and rats don't get into it. Also, you will likely have meal moths at this time of year, so you don't want to plan on storing it for a lengthy time, but should use it instead.

Sounds like you have a good kind of challenge - not a problem. I am happy for you.
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

I agree, you should go ahead and feed it to your turkeys. The turkeys only really need higher protein when they are less than 2 months old, and then can be switched to something around 16-18% protein ... or at least that's what I've read. Plus, since your birds are free range, they're able to eat bugs for extra protein.

You are so lucky to get such a deal!

I know our feed bill is ranging around $150-200 a week now with all our birds. Gosh those young birds sure do eat a lot.

I was able to get feed lioke that one time. I fed it to everything!The hens,pigeons phesants,ducks and pigs did real good on it. I wouldn't do the bags unless I had a real dry place to put them. You don't want it wet(at least not till your ready to slop the pigs!). This would be the time to raise a bunch of windfall birds that you normally wouldn't have the money to feed out. Then in a few months you can rake in the cash. If nothing else buy surplus rooster chicks,They all sell real good(just don't get white ones) when finished out.

my feed bill just went from $around $75 to $125 .been tryin to sell some of greybears stuff.maybe a few people will be out at the swaps on saturday.im going to try a new spot on sunday over on RT 66 in foyil.they set up around a little gas station along the highway.havnt seen anyone with chickens this year.might do some good.hope everyone stays cool an has a nice 4th of July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom