Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a sportsman incubator in Galena Ks. on Craigslist someone buy it quick!! (and let me use it)
lol.png

http://joplin.craigslist.org/grd/997174418.html

Couldn't the kiddo enter the birds? That way they would be in the Jr. show where Jacob Bates (my bad on the name, you helped me remember!) would have birds in the Open.
I checked out the Sportsman... it sounds great, but it is a bit too expensive and too far for me
sad.png
You should just buy it
smile.png

Another nice day and i was stuck at work from 4am this morning. I gotta get a day off with nice weather
tongue.png
Im sitting here counting the days down till i get my incubator, problem is cutler supply has even got payment yet, i just mailed it saturday lol.

Teach97, I haven't got none of those, I have some silkies I'm thinkin about parting with.

Here's a suggestion for portable pens that works for me. (everyone may already be doing this and I may just caught on, but bear with me!) I aquired some hog panels and cut them down to make rectangle pens. I used hog rings and put chicken wire on them,(this is reenforced with the hog wire, so its pretty varmit proof), then I just wire the corners together. One could probably add wheels and tractor them around. They come apart real easy if I need to take them down, lay flat to haul in the truck.

Last edited:
Couldn't the kiddo enter the birds? That way they would be in the Jr. show where Jacob Bates would have birds in the Open.

I thought of that too........BUT there is no Jr. show. Everyone competes together, it's an open show. He said something about recognizing the top jr.exhibitors though. So I decided to let the kiddo show the BL anyway and I will take the wyandottes and the black rosecomb hen.
big_smile.png

I checked out the Sportsman... it sounds great, but it is a bit too expensive and too far for me You should just buy it

OOHH how I wish I could!!! But we just bought another dog kennel, for the chickens of course!!

Here's a suggestion for portable pens that works for me. (everyone may already be doing this and I may just caught on, but bear with me!) I aquired some hog panels and cut them down to make rectangle pens. I used hog rings and put chicken wire on them,(this is reenforced with the hog wire, so its pretty varmit proof), then I just wire the corners together. One could probably add wheels and tractor them around. They come apart real easy if I need to take them down, lay flat to haul in the truck.

The dog kennel is what we use for chickens. We use bird netting aross the top to keep hawks and owls from swooping and getting them. And when they have babies we put wire around the bottom so the chicks can't get out. I have thought about using cattle panels with chicken or rabbit wire on the outside, but I can't figger' out how to put a gate on it. When you go to cut the panels you will need bolt cutters to cut them!! I put a piece of panel into an old screen door that is in my chicken house to keep the dogs from getting eggs.(The chickens can go through, BUT the dogs can't!!!) It took alot of umph to cut that panel!!​

It took alot of umph to cut that panel!!

Yeah, you have to have some big bolt cutters, the little ones just don't cut it! I also used a piece of pipe on the end to make the handles longer! Even then it took some umph!!

Phyllis, glad to see you back at the board! How have things been? Last I heard from you, you were making a move! What breeds of eggs would you be willing to hold back? I'm still trying to decide what to do, and checking out all my options. Thanks so much!

Grace, you must get some pictures of your SQ Silkies when you get them!

Seems like spring is just around the corner, can't wait!
big_smile.png

Gerald and I went to the Lexington auction tonight. Prices were average, I guess. I thought about bidding on some indian runner ducklings ... they only sold for $1.25 each! Oh that was sure tempting, but we don't want to raise ducks.

Gerald bought some old tool boxes & some other stuff and a pair of barred turkens. He has definitely developed a turken fettish! We just hatched some showgirl chicks from eggs we bought from a fellow BYC'er in Texas and Gerald has fallen in love with those little fuzzy naked necks. Now we're waiting & hoping for some frizzle chicks including possible frizzle naked neck chicks to hatch from some eggs we bought from another BYC'er and also we're collecting eggs from 2 turken hens we put with our frizzle turken rooster we bought at the Cement auction last month.

We have some roosters that we've decided to sell that are now breeding age. A Black Copper Marans that we hatched as an egg from Ray Valentine in Florida, a nice Birchen Marans that we hatched as an egg from Margaret Hamilton, aka Mergmet on BYC, a Wheaten Marans that we hatched as an egg from Buddy Henry, a Blue Jersey Giant we hatched from our birds, and a Cuckoo Marans we hatched from ebay egg purchase. These are all very nice big roosters that we just don't need so they're for sale for $10 each or possibly trade for something?

Last edited:
Slightlycracked - Have a question for you....... On our
entry form for Pryor, top right, there is a place where
you check whether you are entering Junior or Open.
And, the Pryor 4-H is sponsoring the show. Kenny told
Bill that they intended to have lots of ribbons for the
Junior Class.

Are we talking about the same show? Or did we
misunderstand something about the separation of
classes at Pryor?

Thanks for any additional info.

Have a good one !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom