Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have 5 adult cats and they are not the least bit interested in the chickens. I do have one who also likes to eat the chicken pellets. Hobbit is a bit crazy anyway. Lost one eye last year and has 23 toes and if she was 30lbs bigger I would not have had to by llamas because she is one bad a#% cat.
My cats chase all the other neighbor cats away. Of course we have a "no eating family member policy" that is strictly enforced at our place and the cats have been really good about sticking with it.

Quote:
Yikes! That's gonna give my nightmares
hide.gif

Quote:
Yikes! That's gonna give my nightmares
hide.gif

I was just happy that I looked before I reached in! I called the boys and they took care of it. The hen setting on the nest never moved so I might of gotten my wish for a broody but guess what......I don't have anywhere to put her!

Anyone close to me with eggs if she stays on the nest?

Quote:
You can't buy the supplies the day of class - so you can wait on that expense. The Department of Ag has a form where you can order the supplies
http://www.oda.state.ok.us/forms/ais/poultry.pdf

It looks to me like you could get started with about a $54 investment - $20 total for the bleeder loop and test plate and $13 for the antigen (enough for 200 birds) plus $16 shipping for the antigen (the antigen needs to be kept cold so they ship it for next day delivery) and $5 for shipping the bleeder loop and test plate.

I just talked to Marie and you can save the shipping charge if you call ahead and then pick up the supplies in person, but they won't be available the day of class.

Quote:
You can't buy the supplies the day of class - so you can wait on that expense. The Department of Ag has a form where you can order the supplies

It looks to me like you could get started with about a $54 investment - $20 total for the bleeder loop and test plate and $13 for the antigen (enough for 200 birds) plus $16 shipping for the antigen (the antigen needs to be kept cold so they ship it for next day delivery) and $5 for shipping the bleeder loop and test plate.

I just talked to Marie and you can save the shipping charge if you call ahead and then pick up the supplies in person, but they won't be available the day of class.

The bleeder loop are you talking about the thing they got the blood from the bird to the plate?

Ok ok I will call already!...well in a little bit.

Dang! That is a big ol' snake. Wish you had thrown it in a pillow case and saved it for me! Looks like a water snake...that or a really dark what we called chicken snakes. Never saw one that dark though but the pattern looks right. Ours were redder...of course until I caught that hog nose a couple tears ago I had never seen one that yellow!

I have lots of bantams! That is why Grace likes me...that and I am HOT!!! DOn't get mad though City! There is plenty of me to go around!

P&B - count on those guys remembering you! Heck I won't forget you! My grandparents lived across town and took care of me before I went to school and then picked me up from school until They weren't able to...some of my best times...now I am gonna get all misty eyed!
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
I talked to the Marie (lady we talk to about the NPIP certification) She said you have to buy the supplies from the department of agriculture but that it was only $17 or 20 per 50 I think is what she said.
Hey since it seems like so many of us from BYC are going to be at this training maybe we should make this a POOPS event.
ya.gif

Yes?
hu.gif

I just talked to Marie and found out that the class will begin at 10:00 and is usually over by 12:30 and then we test birds for about an hour - so there is time for us to plan a late lunch get together that day.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Marie also indicated that the Department of Ag would really love to have someone from the Panhandle and from Eastern Oklahoma attend the class, since there are not many testers in those areas.

Quote:
I talked to the Marie (lady we talk to about the NPIP certification) She said you have to buy the supplies from the department of agriculture but that it was only $17 or 20 per 50 I think is what she said.
Hey since it seems like so many of us from BYC are going to be at this training maybe we should make this a POOPS event.
ya.gif

Yes?
hu.gif

I just talked to Marie and found out that the class will begin at 10:00 and is usually over by 12:30 and then we test birds for about an hour - so there is time for us to plan a late lunch get together that day.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Marie also indicated that the Department of Ag would really love to have someone from the Panhandle and from Eastern Oklahoma attend the class, since there are not many testers in those areas.

Sounds good to me.......that is your neck of the woods where would you suggest.

Quote:

The bleeder loop are you talking about the thing they got the blood from the bird to the plate?

The bleeder loop is just a loop of wire that is big enough to get a drop of blood - so that once you have punched the vein with the needle, you can get a drop of blood on the loop and mix it with the antigen. I think the "store bought" bleeder loops have a needle on one end of the stick and the loop on the other end of the stick.

Good Afternoon Everyone
I have a question about a chicken, I have looked in diseases and cant find a thing.
I have a 4 month oldRIR with a humped up back (like base of her tail) and her tail points down.
Any ideas? I dont know if she got injured as a chick, if i should cull her........?
Thanks, kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom