Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice Greybear and poultryand bees!! Sorry, I'm a bit behind on getting on here.

I had my second chick hatch!!! Yay! I stapled chicken wire in front of the nesting box for now. Should I put the 2 broodies in a pet carrier or the momma, her chick and eggs? I will have to bring them back in the coop at night because we have raccoons that get into very small holes.

The 2 broodies in the corner have been sitting on eggs for at least 40 days. What should I do? Get rid of the eggs or let them be? I would like to break their broodiness since they are the ones that killed the first chick and nothing is happening with their eggs.

Quote:
Surely there is a farmer's co-op in your area.

I get mine bulk (mixed to my specifications) from the Carnegie co-op. Averages $6 to $7.50 for a 50 lb bag (thanks to Mike D. for the tip!). That's a bit of a drive for you, though. But there might be some mills or co-ops up in your area.

One of these days somebody needs to create a list of where everyone here gets their feed.

Quote:
wee.gif
I am sure Grace is!
ya.gif
She hasn't given me any dates yet but last year she showed at Newcastle, Idabell, Cement, Eufaula (2 shows) and Pryor. We will probably make all of those again and anything within a reasonable driving distance. We have to stick to Saturday only shows because or our responsibilities at the church on Sundays.

Holy cow!

Y'all remember the chicken processing setup I was telling you about about the other day the guys was considering renting out? The one with the Featherman tub style plucker? Well, I just got an email back from him on the cost... $25 a day!

Dang! That's a steal! Thing goes through 4 birds at a time in about 30 seconds, and cleans them clean as a whistle.

Let me know if you are interested.

Chickenlady If the broody hatching is confined in her box,I would leave her there till the hatch is over and then put her in a place where she can take care of her babies,They will be ready for a drink and food. The two broodys together are another story. The eggs may have been layed at different times so I would take all those out. I would separate one and put her away from a nest with just food and water for a few days,then she will be finnished with her sillyneess! They other I would place a new batch of fresh eggs under her and let her hatch them out. If you want no more babys then break them both up. They will be back to laying in a few weeks and will proably set for you agin before fall!

welcome-byc.gif
Ms Cheng!! from one of the out of staters!We have a great group of family people here. Expect to make friends and gain family(s)!!

Quote:
Be sure the hen that is hatching has access to water so she doesn't go down in this heat. As for the two other broodies, I agree with the advice of Okla-doodle.

Quote:
Welcome to the best place on the BYC!!!

You have also come to a great place to learn about showing. The one's that do show will usually post the information once they get it here on the board. I don't know of any shows coming up until fall.

Quote:
All right Queen he is weaking!! Now for those bantam NNs!!LOL

Wayne what color NN bantams do you have??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom