Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
afton had black an fawn an white runners this last weekend for $1.00 each the guy had over 300 of them 2 weeks old.i bought 30 an took them to tulsa sunday an sold all but 2 fawn an whites. for $ 4 apiece wish i would have bought more now

Last edited:
well we lost one of the baby turkeys to a drowning
sad.png
all the other ones seem good... Momma is protective she went after one of the other bronze hens when that one pecked at one of the babies... they got to sparring so I booted the other one away and closed the pen.... It was good to see her up off the eggs for a lil bit walking around in the pen though.

How is everyone else? How are your egg productions? We have NO EGGS today
sad.png

JEANNIE

Poultry- we candled them last week and there were some that didn't have anything in them (that's the way it looked) and some did, but our silly girls keep moving them around and trading, so we need to do it again. If you can tell something in there, does it mean it's good? Could there be a chick in there that is dead? This is the first year we have had hens trying to hatch, so I know nothing about the process.

Quote:
Well, I have only one 'scovy, but he mostly just sits around. Much more than my other ducks do. He will occasionally venture into the pond, but not very far and not very often. More of a home body.

But maybe he is just weird.

Quote:
I wish you had bought more runners also. I would meet you somewhere between OKC and bring you the muscovy ducks from Harrah and take home any color other than fawn runners you had. How often is the Afton sale? (I know it is on here somewhere, but since it is too far for me to go, I have never stored the information in my brain)

Edited because I didn't closely read the colors of runners that were sold at Afton.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Well since every one of my hens in the laying flock has been sick, stressed, medicated, wormed and overheated...I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day
th.gif

And this is the very same flock that laid so well all winter--2-3 dozen a day!
hu.gif

Quote:
After several weeks of incubation, any egg that is mostly clear is a dud. Depending on the color of the shell, you should be able to see veins originating from the broad end (egg sack end) of the egg. As the chick develops it occupies more and more of the space in the egg until the only clear space you see is at the egg sack end of the egg. Eggs can however start developing and then for no apparent reason stop developing or develop entirely and then not make it out of the shell. It is a function of temperature, humidity, protein level of the laying flock before egg laying and Mother Nature. There are so many things that can go wrong, I always feel blessed when ANY hatch, whether in an incubator or beneath a hen.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Well since every one of my hens in the laying flock has been sick, stressed, medicated, wormed and overheated...I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day
th.gif

And this is the very same flock that laid so well all winter--2-3 dozen a day!
hu.gif

Not as many are laying and those that are, seem to be laying smaller eggs than they did when it was cooler.

Sooner my two hen nn,s are lite red and the roo I got from Mr,Bill is rhode island red in color. I have several chicks hatched out but not for sure on the color. Doc in Texas also has nn bantams,I'm hoping he raises a bunch and brings us some new blood next Poops! NN Breeder do you hAve nn bantams also?

Chickenlady. If they only have a couple ogf eggs I would break them up or give them a full clutch. Wasteing the hens health and your time on only two eggs! If you take the eggs away they may relocate to any other egg they can find. I would confine them a day or two just to be sure.

Well 19 years ago today Brenda and I became Mrs. and Mr. Brenda Lea! We have covered a lot of ground since. Hopefully we will cover a lot more before number twenty comes along!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom