Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:

I wouldn't say that they (Greenfire Farm) are, "saving" Hulsey's Pumpkin's.
From what I have read they really don't have good/ true Hulsey's and that they may just have a Pumpkin colored fowl. There are some real good breeders of true Hulsey fowl out there maybe saladin knows some and I think that Cuda may have a pair or at least I know he has posted some.

Chris

I heard the same thing.

Last edited:
Quote:

Yes I know that Green Fire Farms has pumpkin Hulseys. My birds are NOT from them by the way. I dont quite like green fire farms. Their whole farm is a "for profit" farm. I mean I like to make money too but I bet you $100 that their hulseys will be gone by 2012. They use to sell Black Copper marans.....now that they are not as rare or as proffitable they sold them all. I want to be a 70+ year old man with the gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandchildren of my original stock, With little care to how much cash I made or lost to the breed. It may sound crazy but I lvoe my birds and so try and learn the best breeding techniques and keeping methods so that 50 years from now they look as good if not better than they are now.

But to your statement. No they are not saving the Hulsey, just profiting off of them in a different way than fighting them. Some people may not like me saying that about greenfire, but in reality it is true.

Chris had it right. i was writing my reply so I didnt see his. I am not sure if grenfires are imposters or not, so i wont make that claim.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wont claim that they are imposers just that I herd by others that they could be just a Pumpkin Fowl.

Chris

oh i see. I guess that the only people who will really know are the owners of Greenfire and long time Hulsey owners. I am new myself so I cant say anything about their birds. All i know is my birds came from a reputable breeder who has bred them for 20+ years.

What's wrong with making a profit? Importing birds from abroad is very expensive. Why shouldn't they profit from their efforts? I just wish I could afford their birds.

Quote:

Yes I know that Green Fire Farms has pumpkin Hulseys. My birds are NOT from them by the way. I dont quite like green fire farms. Their whole farm is a "for profit" farm. I mean I like to make money too but I bet you $100 that their hulseys will be gone by 2012. They use to sell Black Copper marans.....now that they are not as rare or as proffitable they sold them all. I want to be a 70+ year old man with the gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandchildren of my original stock, With little care to how much cash I made or lost to the breed. It may sound crazy but I lvoe my birds and so try and learn the best breeding techniques and keeping methods so that 50 years from now they look as good if not better than they are now.

But to your statement. No they are not saving the Hulsey, just profiting off of them in a different way than fighting them. Some people may not like me saying that about greenfire, but in reality it is true.

Quote:

Well you are right, importing birds is ery expensive but he didnt import Hulseys. and If you go to their brahmas page they didnt import those either. What they do is make investments in birds not currently available and exploit them. Once the breed of bird has been exploited to the max they drop them like dead weight and already have the next breed lined up to take their pen space. They dont try and improve but just mass produce. I guess you could call them a chicken mill, just like those puppy mills.

Back
Top Bottom