Old and Rare Breeds

Saladin, a few posts back you said that birds should be dubbed at the dark of the moon. Would that be now, or at the new moon or just after?
I have always been told (on the subject of surgery, animal or human) to avoid the first 3 days after the Full Moon and the rest of the time right up to the New Moon is good. If you have to do something then as much as 3 days after the New Moon is usually OK too. I have for the past 20 years scheduled every surgery (except my husbands emergency gall bladder) by this and have had extremely good results in low bleeding and fast healing.

I agree. I usually do it within a week before or week after the new moon; though I have found that it is better in the waning moon than in the waxing moon.

I've never dubbed a bird. I have some with big combs, and it does get nasty here sometimes in the winter so was thinking about doing it. At what age? Mine are 11 weeks old, is this too old? They aren't show birds, and I like the lack of a comb anyway.

I usually dub mine at around 1 year. It can be done earlier or later than that. A good friend of mine never dubs until they are 18 months to 2 years.

It is not hard to do. Strombergs use to sell a little booklet that told how to do it.

You will also want to get the right type of scissors for the job: both straight and curved. These can be bought from a variety of sources, but it does help to have the equipment that was made especially for the job.

My good friend Billy Sumner has plenty of extra Std Cornish, Malays, Shamos and Shamo bantams that he needs to get rid of.

Also, Jesus has plenty of Std Cornish and Malays that he needs to sell.

If you are interested in any of these pm me and I'll send you a phone number.

Billy does not ship. It would be pickup in North Carolina.
Jesus may or may not ship. He is in Florida.

Both these men have excellent exhibition stock of all colors standard and non-standard.

I need to get some pictures up. Sorry about that.

I did recently take Champion Large Fowl with a Lemon Blue Game stag at the South Carolina State Fair. Also, Res. Champion AOSB with a BBR Asil. (The Lemon Blue was Champion AOSB).

My trouble with Show Season is that it falls right in Breeding Season! I will begin setting up my breeding pens in the next couple of weeks. I like to set my first batch of eggs following Thanksgiving to come off around Christmas. Of course, once I start setting I set every Saturday until just past Easter.

I tend to show only older mature fowl instead of cockerels and pullets. And, I don't breed cockerels or pullets: thus my problem. lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom