Old bedding to control mud in run

Jamesthesilkie

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
North Carolina
Would it be smart to use my other pets old shavings to help control the mud in my 1500sq ft run? I was thinking of putting de on it after I place it. I'm working on water drainage but it's difficult at my property. I can't really afford to fill the entire run with bedding unless I'm recycling my old bedding. What are your thoughts? I'm tired of stepping in mud!!

What are the other pets? I don't know if I'd use used bedding from something other than chickens, in case of cross contamination.

A much better option would be wood chips which you can get for free/for tips from tree trimming companies. However if you cannot fix the drainage issue, there's really no magic bullet that will eat up mud in your run.

What are the other pets? I don't know if I'd use used bedding from something other than chickens, in case of cross contamination.

A much better option would be wood chips which you can get for free/for tips from tree trimming companies. However if you cannot fix the drainage issue, there's really no magic bullet that will eat up mud in your run.
Rats, chinchillas, and ducks.

I've been looking into wood chips. I'm going to try to look more on Monday. The water runs off the house so I'm going to install a runoff or whatever it's called and see if that helps. I also dug a small ditch. But if wood chips are cheap i can keep the mud to a minimum

Not sure on chinchillas. Duck bedding might be ok if it's not too filthy. I used to have rats and I wouldn't reuse the bedding as I wouldn't want chickens eating the poop somehow (I actually used very little bedding, I gave them a little litter box of it and otherwise fleece liners that got shaken off in a back corner of the yard and then washed).

Depending on where you're located wood chips can be free - my tree guy says they have to pay to dump them so they'll drop 'em off if they happen to be nearby. If using fresh chips, I'd layer a minimal amount a bit at a time to reduce chance of mold being an issue. Also read up on deep litter systems. They can't make drainage issues go away but once that's resolved or at least managed, it'll help with the mud that's already there.

The water runs off the house so I'm going to install a runoff or whatever it's called and see if that helps. I also dug a small ditch.
This is key...no bedding will take care of bad drainage.
Some pics might help here.
Ditto Wood chippings.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Jamesthesilkie
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579386394393.png

This is key...no bedding will take care of bad drainage.
Some pics might help here.
Ditto Wood chippings.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Jamesthesilkie
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 2005617
I’m very new to any diy stuff so I’m definitely struggling. The house I’m at has no gutters (I think that’s what it’s called) so the rain water runs off the house and produces a lottttt of puddles and mud in the chicken run area. I think I will try to buy stuff for that and hopefully that will minimize the issue.

thanks for the advice both of you! I’m in North Carolina. I’ll try to add my location

I’m very new to any diy stuff so I’m definitely struggling. The house I’m at has no gutters (I think that’s what it’s called) so the rain water runs off the house and produces a lottttt of puddles and mud in the chicken run area. I think I will try to buy stuff for that and hopefully that will minimize the issue.
Not sure gutters are a newbie DIYer project.
Do you own the house?
Some pics of the area might help find a quicker easier short term solution.

Plenty of neighbors would be willing for you to rake up pine needles, leaves, sticks, the more junk the merrier to my birds!
Bales of straw are usually pretty cheap and can stretch a ways...at least a path for you to walk.

I use river rock I buy from the farm store. It sinks into the ground and I had to put it down a couple times though but eventually no more mud. I tried straw but it didn't work for me.
Gutters would definitely help or a rain barrel with a hose attached to guide the water away from the area.

Back
Top Bottom