Old chickens, new watering system?

Twofeathers1eye

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
How do you get old chickens to use a new watering system? We just installed low pressure push in style water nipples in a pvc pipe. They just don't get it.

You have to completely remove their old waterer and show them where the nipples are then let them see it drip. Most important REMOVE THEIR OLD WATERER. Did I tell you what is most important? There are many topics in here answering the exact same question you have and generally they all have the same answers search around and read a few. There is one answer that makes the nipples work and be the best thing you have ever added to your coop. Let me tell you what you have to do is REMOVE THEIR OLD WATERER, and they will start using the nipples.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ep.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
I saw a thing on YouTube, a guy took a laser pointer cat toy a pointed it on the nipples they saw it and instantly pecked at it, they were using it in no time.

I just did the same to my 10 week olds. They got a new coop, new waterer, and a new feeder. I did remove their old waterer, but I'm still worried that they will dehydrate. I made sure I let them see the drips, but they preferred to peck at the drips on the ground rather than peck at the nipples
hmm.png
. I hope they get it soon. Good luck to you Twofeathers1eye. I hope yours figure it out soon too.

Quote: Chickens aren't real smart, they will drink every little drip on the ground, all the muddy poopy water in the mud puddle and search out every dripping leak before they finally give in and start using the good stuff out of the nipples. It is real frustrating even to someone that has seen it many times before. I just sit back and try not to get mad at a bunch of stupid little birds. I can cuss at the birds and they don't know what I say so they get to hear my frustrations sometimes. The easiest way to do all this and teach them to use the nipples is the first day they come home when their only a couple days old have your nipple system set up and ready to go for the start. If you're lucky enough to get to start your birds on the nipples they will always go to new ones no problem at all.

Be patient, when they get thirsty they will go for the nipples and get a drink. Once one bird uses them they will all follow suit and head right for them. My birds no longer drain the puddles and drips, if I were to put a open bowl of water in the coop they would just ignore it because they aren't thirsty. They get all they need from the nipples and you seldom even see them going to use them, they stay well hydrated.

Thank you LoneOak. Is there a 'special' silicone that is meant for use outdoors? One of the nipples is leaking really bad and could use more silicone. I used the silicone meant for kitchen and baths. Is there a better one to use?

Thanks every one for the input. On LoneOaks' advice I removed the old waterers yesterday. This evening I noticed one of the roosters pecking at a nipple. Maybe tomorrow they will they all will. If this works, it will be a much cleaner drink of water for all the birds. I have 20 two week old cornish cross in a separate chix tractor. They caught on the same day.

Quote: As far as I know there isn't a special silicone for outdoor use. You might try something like Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, you can get it at the auto parts store or they might have it in the auto section of Wally's place. We used to use it at work for everything that needed to be sealed and it hardly ever failed unless we were impatient. Which ever one you use you are going to have to let it dry completely before you put the water to it.

The more I think about it the Blue RTV would be the way to go! It doesn't have to be Permatex any brand will do, Loctite, store brand etc.

Back
Top Bottom