*Old English Game Bantam Show! Let the "Games" begin!~~Ends 9-1-2011!*

Scooby, your email is full and I can't send you your prizes!
big_smile.png

diamond - yeah, its hard to tell what his lineage is, his brother has green leggs too, but a single comb and not nearly so aggressivebut also red with a blond mane-hence fabio, but I guess different roos can sire different eggs in a clutch can't they? His brother actually sired 6 chicks lately..
Indiana is kinda, across, not up or down? No fireants - thank you please! No hurricanes either, had enough of them too, it;s not as hot here, on the western appalachians as the rest of the world, and when it gets too hot God makes it rain again and cools it down to 70 so you remember what heaven on earth is like.
lots and lots of predators, I lost all 3 of the green egg hens to them and nearly lost fabio, rocky was the only one that was completely unruffled....because of the comb I named her rocky because she bit me first thing, them she crowed. Oh my, I sure picked the right name cause he won every title fight since then, and I finally realized thats a rooster.then he grew those feathers, hmmmm.
anyway we have every single predator you can think of, when you build your coop, you will not leave more than a quarter inch gap between anything, chicken wire, ha! that is to keep the chickens in, rat wire is to keep predators out. If they are in a secure coop at night, no problems, snakes are not a big issue for chickens, they are for me, since we have alot of copperheads, but only when I pick raspberries. Snakes are a problem for little chicks anywhere though.
Coons are a big killer, dogs keep them off, as will a good coon hunter, I have skins on my lodgepole. Coyote are bad for everyone, everwhere, but here I can make 45 $ to shoot a big one 24/7, mink are the worst and pelts are only 14$ for a big black male and they kill for fun, owls are the worst, since they are protected species and you can't kill them, and they will take the chickens from the trees. Even a thick tree, let alone just a roost. They only hunt at night, but will hunt in mist and early hours, esp if they know there is a smorgasbord over there,and once they know they will eat every one you got. I have a pair of hawks, but they haven't bothered us yet, they are too small maybe.
I had a bobcat sniffing at my chickens feet in the small coop (totally encased in rat wire) and I went after him with a poplar walking stick and flashlight, too fast, got away, it's hard to get a shot off aiming at your coop, with big old tractor tires in the way, and your airstream to the other side, yeah, what are we going to put the holes in.....you get a sense of what can eat your chickens (everything out there) and fix it. But yeah, it;s not safe for tasty things....bears are not an issue, we have black bears that are more shy, brown bears, more north, will hunt and kill a person. let alone a chicken.. winter is when the reall carnage begins as everything becomes scarce....but having a secure coop and run, and a few dogs, and a game hen like me, and so far, no more losses.
Oh, and yeah, the show, which is over now, I learned alot, especially about the history of the breed, and I'll say just one' thing,' when it comes down to survival it;s the fittest that survives, thanks for being an impartial judge, I don't like snobs, that's not good showmanship either and I sure encountered a few on this link, but Ill learn from it and make lemonade.

Quote:
I don't get on this site a lot and somehow missed this. Good luck taking this rooster to a show as a Dutch he has been shown and has done very well. This is not a hatchery bird and anyone who knew anything about Dutch or OEG would be able to tell the difference, he came from a reputable breeder in Ohio. Maybe I should let him know he is raising dutch not OEG. Was not trying to stir up trouble just trying to show OEG that are not long legged hatchery birds. Thanks for your advice though.
lol.png

Achickenwrangler#1 :

diamond - yeah, its hard to tell what his lineage is, his brother has green leggs too, but a single comb and not nearly so aggressivebut also red with a blond mane-hence fabio, but I guess different roos can sire different eggs in a clutch can't they? His brother actually sired 6 chicks lately..
Indiana is kinda, across, not up or down? No fireants - thank you please! No hurricanes either, had enough of them too, it;s not as hot here, on the western appalachians as the rest of the world, and when it gets too hot God makes it rain again and cools it down to 70 so you remember what heaven on earth is like.
lots and lots of predators, I lost all 3 of the green egg hens to them and nearly lost fabio, rocky was the only one that was completely unruffled....because of the comb I named her rocky because she bit me first thing, them she crowed. Oh my, I sure picked the right name cause he won every title fight since then, and I finally realized thats a rooster.then he grew those feathers, hmmmm.
anyway we have every single predator you can think of, when you build your coop, you will not leave more than a quarter inch gap between anything, chicken wire, ha! that is to keep the chickens in, rat wire is to keep predators out. If they are in a secure coop at night, no problems, snakes are not a big issue for chickens, they are for me, since we have alot of copperheads, but only when I pick raspberries. Snakes are a problem for little chicks anywhere though.
Coons are a big killer, dogs keep them off, as will a good coon hunter, I have skins on my lodgepole. Coyote are bad for everyone, everwhere, but here I can make 45 $ to shoot a big one 24/7, mink are the worst and pelts are only 14$ for a big black male and they kill for fun, owls are the worst, since they are protected species and you can't kill them, and they will take the chickens from the trees. Even a thick tree, let alone just a roost. They only hunt at night, but will hunt in mist and early hours, esp if they know there is a smorgasbord over there,and once they know they will eat every one you got. I have a pair of hawks, but they haven't bothered us yet, they are too small maybe.
I had a bobcat sniffing at my chickens feet in the small coop (totally encased in rat wire) and I went after him with a poplar walking stick and flashlight, too fast, got away, it's hard to get a shot off aiming at your coop, with big old tractor tires in the way, and your airstream to the other side, yeah, what are we going to put the holes in.....you get a sense of what can eat your chickens (everything out there) and fix it. But yeah, it;s not safe for tasty things....bears are not an issue, we have black bears that are more shy, brown bears, more north, will hunt and kill a person. let alone a chicken.. winter is when the reall carnage begins as everything becomes scarce....but having a secure coop and run, and a few dogs, and a game hen like me, and so far, no more losses.
Oh, and yeah, the show, which is over now, I learned alot, especially about the history of the breed, and I'll say just one' thing,' when it comes down to survival it;s the fittest that survives, thanks for being an impartial judge, I don't like snobs, that's not good showmanship either and I sure encountered a few on this link, but Ill learn from it and make lemonade.

Thank-you for the info! I've been worrying about the predators since my pens are made of scrap wood, chicken-wire, and staples, lol. My Silkie Trio and OEG Bantam Trio are safe in our secure barn at night, so I didn't really have to worry about making the pens too complicated. They're up close to the house, so the predators stay away for the most part (Except for the dumb little Red-tailed Hawk that perches on my pens and preens during the day, lol). I have a feeling that if we move to the Appalachians, my birds would be in deep trouble if I kept them in the same little pens. We also have 9 geese, 3 ducks, 14 guineas, and around 20 chickens that free range until dark and refuse to come in any earlier than 8pm. They would probably get a rude awakening if we moved there, lol. Also, several different roosters can definately sire babies in a clutch of eggs. When a rooster strides a hen, he deposits a sperm packet in th cloaca that last for up to ten days. If several other roosters stride the same hen, she will have a mixture of all the different rooster's sperm waiting to fertilze the future eggs. It becomes totally random at this point, and just depends on how much, how new, and how dominant the different sperms are at the time of ovulation. I'm glad you learned new things and enjoyed the show, and good luck with your Appalachian Chicken Breed!
big_smile.png

A really pretty rooster won! aha
Diamond - wow you got a flock - they would probably adapt ok, I have different groups that circulate as they want, the younger ones come in later and later as they get older (teenagers!) A really secure nighttime roost is key, during the day, hey, it has been impossible to keep them penned up, their temperament doesn't allow it. So far the head count is good though, I've been looking out for the hawks and they don't seem at all interested (Knock wood) but yeah, they need a fortress, and apparently from what Ive been reading suburbia isn't any safer really.
That is interesting about the rooster sperm thing, cause the one group I got 3 looked similarr and 2 definetely did not, same with another group, then the next were all black, 2 where white and black- I figured it had to e something like that. I think the black ones have the adbantage as chicks because when they are in the weeds you can't even find them, look like shawdows, and only if the grass is moving can you tell. I think the white ones practically glow in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom