Old family photos

Wonderful picture! My guess for the white chickens would be leghorns. I too have pictures with my great-grandma and her chickens, some of which look slightly similar to the ones in your picture. My grandma told me that Great-Grandma raised leghorns, and in one of the pictures I have it's obvious that the white chickens are leghorns.

bun.gif

That is a great picture. Definately something that I'd frame if I were you!
big_smile.png

Chickaroo,
Thanks, and yes, I do plan to frame it and display it. My mom never talked about having chickens on her family farm when she grew up, but she probably did. And I never started raising chooks until well after her death. Kinda a shame since I think it would have brought her back to her childhood. And actually she spent some of her summ ers visiting her grandparentsat the farm in the photo.

Such a wonderful picture! You're lucky to have it. I'd do almost anything to have one of my grandmother or great-grandmother with her chickens. My mother told me that she found a letter in my great-Aunt's possessions asking if my grandmother would save some eggs from the Orpington hens because they laid the best eggs. She saved the letter, I suppose it will be something I will inherit. It's not as nice as your photograph, but it'll have to do.

Nice find. My guess on the birds are RIR's, leghorns, and a few barn mixes before decades of harsh selective breeding. My dad says my new leghorns are even scrawnier than the ones my grandpa raised... and that was only like 50 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom