Old Farmer's Almanac - setting eggs?

subdriver

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
NW Ohio
flipping through the Old Farmer's Almanac pg. 231 shows a table for setting eggs by the moon's sign. Reputedly if you set eggs for a hatch to occur when the Moon is waxing (new moon to full) AND the moon is in Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces the chicks are healthier and mature faster.
Basically you figure out when is the best time for the hatch and count back 21 days. Anybody try this? Have you noticed any difference?

Hi! The Farmers Almanac confuses me with its 'best times for whatever'.
I never was able to understand it and figured there was a separate book (that's kept secret) that explained it all.
I set eggs every week / 10 days and hope they hatch and thrive regardless of the 'moon sign' (no disrespect to anyone who follows the signs of the moon).
smile.png

Lisa

Don't follow astrology myself. I think there was more pull from the OB when I was born than from Mars...
smile.png
But I do recognize from experience there is a natural rhythm to some things. Like the best time to put up a windmill is when it is calm...... Easiest time to plow snow is in the summer
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL LOL Ditto, It was published by old farmers and their old wives, all with too much time on their hands. The moon cycles may work for the tides but it is not a cure all for everything. just an observation.

AL

i used to work with a guy whom did everything by the farmers almanac! he dubbed his birds, would leave hatching eggs out for like 2-3 weeks waiting on the right time per the almanac.his garden...etc...everything by the almanac. i just thought he was a little daft!but he swore by it.

Hi! In the farming community where I grew up, lots of things were done by the 'moon sign'.
I just don't understand what it means by the Almanac and how to interpret it. I don't disregard it --- it's just filed back til I 'figure it out'.
smile.png

Lisa

I always trim heads and twist off spurs by the signs, and it is true that signs affect hatch rates and all, but I have to set the eggs when I have them. Besides that, if you watch nature, a hen will go broody any time of the month.
Never dub a rooster when the sign is wrong.

Well let's see....suppose we want to hatch in March..... The almanac for March says the moon is waxing March 1-9 & again March 27-31. Of those days only on the 5th & 6th is the moon in one of those recomended signs. Counting back 21 days from the 5th means the eggs have to be set ....Ummmm
roll.png
This Thursday or Friday on February 12th or 13th. Give it a try and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom