Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Cool!! We will find a way to keep her safe and maybe we will get some chicks. I'm so excited! I have been wondering if God gave me a brooder. I started with 59 chicks. I am down to 16= 2 Roos( RIR) 2 buff Orph., 2 black sex-links, 2 red sex-links, 8 RIR hens. Should get a mixture of chicks. One of the Buff Orph. is my brooder. thanks so much!
but you have to be careful if you put the chicks in with the mom at night or in the day you should stay and watch for a bit because she can kill them if she wants to

Candled one of my eggs today and the chick is looking so big! Scheduled to hatch this weekend! We fixed up a place under the nesting box that is screened in to put mom and eggs later in the week. How long should I leave her there after the chicks hatch? They will have food water and room to move around in there. I'm just worried about introducing the babies to the other hens....

Its getting closer.I am getting excited and a bit nervous as Miss Mini is a first time mom. Today is day 15 and these are serama eggs and I have had some hatch on day 19 or 20 so I will be setting up and area for her tonight and will probly move her and the eggs ether tonight when she is sleeping or tammrow night. Im gonna set up a brooder that can fit her pet taxi so all I have to do at first is pick it up and put it in there. Does this sound ok to all you old hands of broody hatching?
I went to pick up chick starter at the feed store today and they only had one bag that was a medicated feed and I dont give my chicks medicated starter the only other thing they had was Nature Wise Premium Game bird feed so I got that as its like 21% protien , will this be ok? I already grind up the feed for my buttons and my serama babies so I can do it with this stuff as well , its crumbles.
She has the one egg she swiped somet time between 2-5 days after she had started sitting should I take that one and put it in the incubator so she will get off the nest and attend the other babies after a couple days or just let her have it and see.?
Thanks everyone for being so nice and answering all my babbleing

Candled one of my eggs today and the chick is looking so big! Scheduled to hatch this weekend! We fixed up a place under the nesting box that is screened in to put mom and eggs later in the week. How long should I leave her there after the chicks hatch? They will have food water and room to move around in there. I'm just worried about introducing the babies to the other hens....
Usually around day 3 after hatch the mama will want to take the chicks out for first adventure, she'll introduce chicks to flock then, I'd give her the option she may or may not. Very exciting let us know.

Its getting closer.I am getting excited and a bit nervous as Miss Mini is a first time mom. Today is day 15 and these are serama eggs and I have had some hatch on day 19 or 20 so I will be setting up and area for her tonight and will probly move her and the eggs ether tonight when she is sleeping or tammrow night. Im gonna set up a brooder that can fit her pet taxi so all I have to do at first is pick it up and put it in there. Does this sound ok to all you old hands of broody hatching?
I went to pick up chick starter at the feed store today and they only had one bag that was a medicated feed and I dont give my chicks medicated starter the only other thing they had was Nature Wise Premium Game bird feed so I got that as its like 21% protien , will this be ok? I already grind up the feed for my buttons and my serama babies so I can do it with this stuff as well , its crumbles.
She has the one egg she swiped somet time between 2-5 days after she had started sitting should I take that one and put it in the incubator so she will get off the nest and attend the other babies after a couple days or just let her have it and see.?
Thanks everyone for being so nice and answering all my babbleing
Sounds like a good plan not sure on the game bird feed I use an all flock crumble. about the other egg, she may stay a couple 3 days after first one hatches she may stay till all hatch, mostly depends on the hen, just keep an eye on things and if you notice her getting up to tend to chicks after day 3 then you may want to move egg into bator. if she hears chick chirpping inside egg she most likely will stay. Keep food and water close by so she doesn't have to go far to show chicks where food is. 2 days probably safe she'll stay 5 days maybe pushing it a might. Keep us updated.
fl.gif

Broody hen is still sitting. We put a heater in the coop today to keep the coop warm for the babies. I know that is controversial;) It is in the 20's here and I want the babies to do well so I am heating the coop. I also ordered a new coop today and am going to use my old coop as a brooder for moms and babies. I'm really enjoying this broody thing:) Hopefully I will have more.....

Back
Top Bottom