Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My broody Pokish hatched her two eggs one day after I hatched a bunch in the incubator, so I gave her more chicks to raise and she is one happy mom! My EE gir wanted nothing to do with the chicks I offered her, so she is still happily sitting on her three eggs. I just love my broody girls! :love

I think she probably meant polish :p

So my girl is down to nine chicks after a dog attack. The dog couldn't get to her and them, thank goodness, because she's separated and in a mostly predator proof pen, but in all the panic, one little chick was trampled. This is the second time this neighbor's dog has done this, and I already talked to him the first time. Now he gets to pay for my goose to go to the vet, and to pay for the cost of the birds the dog killed. And if it happens one more time, doggy won't make it home. And if he does manage to get away back home, the police will be called.

So my girl is down to nine chicks after a dog attack. The dog couldn't get to her and them, thank goodness, because she's separated and in a mostly predator proof pen, but in all the panic, one little chick was trampled. This is the second time this neighbor's dog has done this, and I already talked to him the first time. Now he gets to pay for my goose to go to the vet, and to pay for the cost of the birds the dog killed. And if it happens one more time, doggy won't make it home. And if he does manage to get away back home, the police will be called.

I kinda figured. LOL! I kept thinking what breed it was mixed with other than the polish. LOL!

THREE MORE DAYS TIL HATCH!!!!! I am having three different hatches in the upcoming week, all space themed names. So far I got: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, Meteor, Asteroid, Comet, Galaxy, Solar, Lunar, Eclipse, Nova, Neblua, Moon, Cosmos and Star... any other suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
THREE MORE DAYS TIL HATCH!!!!! I am having three different hatches in the upcoming week, all space themed names. So far I got: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, Meteor, Asteroid, Comet, Galaxy, Solar, Lunar, Eclipse, Nova, Neblua, Moon, Cosmos and Star... any other suggestions? Thanks.

Don't forget the constellations and stars! There are lots, but to name a few:

• Sirius
  • Andromeda
  • Carina
  • Cassiopeia
  • Draco
  • Leo
  • Lyra
  • Orion
  • Vela

...and Pyxis, of course :p

Last edited:

If a dog attacked my birds the owner would get one warning, if the dog came round again and resulted in the death of my birds like almost any other predator that came on my land it would be shot, sounds harsh to some but I raised a lot of these from eggs and no dog is gona mess with them.

This is Sooks and her clutch she has
12 Turkey eggs due on the 3rd
6 Silver laced wyandotte eggs due on the 29th
6 mixed Bantam eggs due on the 26th

Back
Top Bottom