Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

We have a chick! I'm not sure if there are others under there. I only hear one, but she's good insulation, so I'm not sure if I'd hear the others. She's on 6 other eggs. How long should I wait to remove the remaining eggs (I suspect one that may have quit, but I wasn't sure enough to pull it last week).

Unless they smell or the hen leaves them and builds her nest somewhere else I would give them till day 25 or so, the cold weather could have been delaying the eggs a bit. Mama hen will let you know.

We have a chick! I'm not sure if there are others under there. I only hear one, but she's good insulation, so I'm not sure if I'd hear the others. She's on 6 other eggs. How long should I wait to remove the remaining eggs (I suspect one that may have quit, but I wasn't sure enough to pull it last week).[/quote]

Congrats!! Be sure and give us an update and pics of the other chickies.:D

We have a chick! I'm not sure if there are others under there. I only hear one, but she's good insulation, so I'm not sure if I'd hear the others. She's on 6 other eggs. How long should I wait to remove the remaining eggs (I suspect one that may have quit, but I wasn't sure enough to pull it last week).

Congrats!! Be sure and give us an update and pics of the other chickies.:D[/quote]I got a cute pic of the one:
I don't have high hopes for the other 6. I held four of them to my ear and didn't hear or feel anything. I'm assuming at this point that's bad.

HI, I am a little unsure what day these are on? But I would not toss them yet if the hen is sitting tight.. She knows if there are live chicks or not. Also do not know if these are her eggs or shipped????
If they are hers....they may spread out a bit. I leave my eggs usually about a week.......

HI, I am a little unsure what day these are on?  But I would not toss them yet if the hen is sitting tight..  She knows if there are live chicks or not.  Also do not know if these are her eggs or shipped????
If they are hers....they may spread out a bit. I leave my eggs usually about a week.......
yesterday was day 21. This chick hatched today. They were from a local farm, but not kept in "hatching condition". I don't think they were refrigerated and I know they were only a few days old.

My Cochin is still covering eggs when it gets dark, but in the day she leaves.

I had a Comet do that for a couple of days. I coaxed her into the hen house with fooooood. lol She laid in the brooder today, though, so I don't know where she's going to want to sleep tonight. I might stick her in the brooder and see if she'll get bored and just go ahead and sit on eggs???

wee.gif

I just had the most magical experience. Since today is day 21 on our eggs and none hatched I wanted to see how things were going. I reached under the hen and pulled out egg #5. It quit at about 10 days. I was bummed. I decided to check one more hoping for good news. Well, I got it with egg #9. As soon as I got the flashlight in place this little foot started scraping the side of the egg. You could see it clear as day. I gently tapped the side and held it to my ear and heard it cheeping away. Goosebumps I tell you! Hopefully #9 joins the outside world tomorrow with a few siblings.

Yay!!!
celebrate.gif

Congrats!! Be sure and give us an update and pics of the other chickies.
big_smile.png
[/QUOTE]

Yay!!!!
wee.gif

Hey!
frow.gif

All you peeps with chicks,
jumpy.gif

I'm waiting for pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pop.gif

Let the hen make the call. The hen will quit around day 25. I know it is tempting, do not touch the eggs. I had a hatch on day 25 once. If i have learn something from my hens going broody is not to mess with the eggs.
Congrats on the baby chick you have so far. :D

I just put 8 mixed eggs under my hen this afternoon. She has been broody for a week. I am hoping that she stays on them long enough for them to hatch. This is my first broody hen and her first time.

Back
Top Bottom