Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Some of the earlier chicks might fall out and not be able to climb back into the nest. So it would be best to install some kind of barrier or a piece of mesh or similar to prevent them from falling down and dying of cold.
Cold won’t be a problem because it’s 75-85• here during the day. Only have 1 adult hen right now with 3 roosters (2 of them were supposed to be hens!!!). They just started showing all their rooster mannerisms a few days ago.

Cold won’t be a problem because it’s 75-85• here during the day. Only have 1 adult hen right now with 3 roosters (2 of them were supposed to be hens!!!). They just started showing all their rooster mannerisms a few days ago.
:th
Oh what terrible luck! I guess you really won't have to mark the eggs. Of course if one of those roosters does lay an egg, you'd be famous!

Oh dear, with three rambunctious cockerels around I would be very careful not to let them near the chicks as they might just kill them.

Chicks need at least 91-93 for the first days, so they would get too cold if they fell out.

:gig The broodies kidnapped a chick from Good Friday. It’s been so rainy, I had to free range this evening when “out came the sun, and dried up all (most of) the rain.” I blocked the moms only during the stampede through the storage area. I finally went inside. I went back out to see all of the chicks/eggs. Only one Friday chick came when called. I only had two, and the one was upset because it was alone. I assumed where it was, and it was confirmed when I heard a not-newborn chick cry in the storage area. I went to the cage, and Mom pecked it when it tried to come to me. :lau I tried getting the second chick to go to her, but it wouldn’t have it. I scooped up Mom, and the chick ran. :gig I saw an un hatched egg.
I left with the Friday chicks eating and drinking from the broodies’ supply. They can go back into the coop, or get underneath the moms. I will close up the coops in another twenty minutes or so.

Here's our little handicapped hen, named Coge. She's the little serama mama taking care of 3 poults, 2 Spitzhaubens, and one lav orp. It's wonderful to see her walking around again. She's stumbly but so dedicated. Motherhood seems to have given her new life and purpose.

She used to be one fast-moving, feisty girl. Other seramas were fine cooped up, but not Coge. She enjoyed her freedom and lived with the full sized chickens. I dare not let her free range, but I did let them have some time in a make-shift chicken tractor.
IMG_7119 (2).JPG
IMG_7123 (2).JPG

Uh, I can’t find the chick. I heard it peep, and saw it poking out. Mom clucked, and baby went under. Five minutes later, the moms were outside. Baby was????? I kept going back down, but didn’t see it poking out. I might have to go to the feed store after all. It’s okay, but the only thing that makes any sense is if there were a snake that I didn’t see. :confused:

Uh, I can’t find the chick. I heard it peep, and saw it poking out. Mom clucked, and baby went under. Five minutes later, the moms were outside. Baby was????? I kept going back down, but didn’t see it poking out. I might have to go to the feed store after all. It’s okay, but the only thing that makes any sense is if there were a snake that I didn’t see. :confused:
Check under the broodies, we have had chicks get caught up in the feathers under the hens. Unfortunately they are usually deceased already when found :(

My broody successfully hatched two. I did go to tractor supply and got 5 babies that she immediately adopted. YAY! She is a first time mom, so I'm really thrilled at this point. I had two that didn't make it past pipping though. I don't understand what went wrong with those, but I guess it happens sometimes eh?

Yes check the broodies.
I also had one hanging from the breast feathers. I heard it and seen mom was running around looking for it and it was swinging around by it's neck. I was able to rescue.

Back
Top Bottom