Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

If you put up a partion she just may, some hens like to take their chicks out at 24 hrs, some at 36 but I'm sure there are some that would wait, especially if they hear pipping and peeping going on and their was fres water and food near by. My frizzle waited from Wed. till Friday afternoon before she rolled her unhatched eggs out from under her.

Huh. Interesting! I did buy an incubator in the event that she loses interest, etc. and the eggs are still viable. She was out and about in the run today, briefly, doing this... stomping.... restless.... thing. Shaking her feathers out, seeming generally ticked-off. Then she returned to her usual nest box. I'll use the flashlight tomorrow night (figure they need a break) and see if anyone is still home
smile.png

Beyond adorable!!!! I cant wait... would it be weird of me to sleep down in the basement with our video camera to make sure i get video???

I will try to get a pic of the kittens
love.gif
in the nest box. We have a broody Welsumer on some OE eggs in the upper deck and the kittens in the lower deck. There was another egg in the box with the kittens this afternoon, I'm betting it is from the dominate older Blackstar hen, as that is her usual box. I'm going to try moving the broody, but will give her some fake eggs and put hers in the incubator till I'm sure she's settled. The incubator is already running anyway, but I'd prefer to let her raise these since the chicks will go in that pen anyway.
Those are some cute family pics WRW90, I love watching an attentive momma with her chicks. I'd love to have silkies to brood, but since I want the chicks to range with the flocks when possible, silkies aren't a good choice for us.
Hennypenny99, we had a problem with an owl here as well. We did try to discourage her from coming around but she kept coming back and took several hens. We called the Game Warden and were told that although they are protected, we do have a right to protect our livestock/pets. He did recommend we not advertise it if we needed to take care of the matter (S-S-S). Try looking thru the "Predators and Pests" Forum, there are several threads that may have suggestions. We lost 2 Guineas out of 3 last year when they decided to roost in the trees, owls I'm sure. I will try to have a broody raise Guineas this year so they will learn to roost in the hen houses at night (I hope). We gave up on bantams because of the # of hawks, they don't bother the LF.

I know - that's the part I miss about not doing it in the incubator. I get to watch it all there. However, the broody will cover up the hatching and it will happen under her - so you will only get to see the finished product :)

Another silly question: So do they hatch under her or does she move them? It seems hard to hatch out of an egg with your mom sitting on you! hmm... Maybe I should have made a glass bottom brooder so I could see whats going on underneath her .
lau.gif

HI I am going to follow along! It is my darling turkey that went broody so now I can join the 'club'. I was worrying about the clutch of eggs getting to cold the other night but low and behold went I knelt down to look in the dog house there was my BR hen doing her thing- good thing too because we have had ice on the water dishes the last two mornings. I don't have an incubator but I will be shopping around for one or parts to build one soon as possible. I really want my BR hen to keep laying but I love that she knows what to do and she is not even a year old yet, so proud! Last year we had two nice clutches lost do to not making the turkeys brood some where safe, this time they picked a great spot INSIDE the fence and in a dog house that was intended for the ducks (who don't use it). She should be on at least 16 eggs at last count, there seems to be almost equal amounts of eggs from each of the three hens so we will get a nice variety, although I would have much prefered that the BR hen kept laying and one of the half BR's went broody but what can you do? Super fun!

HI I am going to follow along! It is my darling turkey that went broody so now I can join the 'club'. I was worrying about the clutch of eggs getting to cold the other night but low and behold went I knelt down to look in the dog house there was my BR hen doing her thing- good thing too because we have had ice on the water dishes the last two mornings. I don't have an incubator but I will be shopping around for one or parts to build one soon as possible. I really want my BR hen to keep laying but I love that she knows what to do and she is not even a year old yet, so proud! Last year we had two nice clutches lost do to not making the turkeys brood some where safe, this time they picked a great spot INSIDE the fence and in a dog house that was intended for the ducks (who don't use it). She should be on at least 16 eggs at last count, there seems to be almost equal amounts of eggs from each of the three hens so we will get a nice variety, although I would have much prefered that the BR hen kept laying and one of the half BR's went broody but what can you do? Super fun!

Congrats and hope you get an awesome hatch!!!

Thanks Miss Lydia and Bobbieschicks for your encouragement! I'm such a worrier when it comes to things like this. Unfortunately this morning when I went out to the coop to check on girls there was what looked to be an exploded egg. At least, it was partly exploded I guess. There was a dead but fully formed baby chick stuck to part of the eggshell with bits of blood splattered everywhere. The Mama was out of the nestbox and I think she must have only just recently rolled the egg out away from the nest before whatever happened, happened. I feel so bad for her. I'm guessing it was my fault for messing with her eggs the day before.
th.gif
hit.gif

If I could only be more PATIENT!!!

I think I may have miscalculated day 1. I added 6 eggs to the broody about 4 days after she'd been sitting. She had only laid 2 eggs of her own and didn't seem to be of a mind to lay any more than that. I had calculated day 1 as being the 1st day I'd seen her sitting on the very first egg she laid. So - I've now recalculated day 1 to start the morning (4 days later) that I added the 6 eggs. Hopefully that's right now. So instead of being on day 22 day, she's actually only on day 18.

I know, I know - SIT ON MY HANDS AND WAIT!!

Not sure, but I just might have seen a pipped egg tonight. She's not at all co-operating in letting me look now. (Can't blame her). But I only wanted to look - no touching, promise.

Hey don't fret - I'm sure the ones that were going to hatch will still hatch. As far as candling the eggs - I don't bother past day 18 because all you will see is a big black blob and it will be hard to determine anything by then. Just leave them and wait - it could take up to Day 26 for hatching if they are slower or the calculations were off. Hang in there - not much longer now!

Back
Top Bottom