Old feed

BrendaJune

Chirping
Feb 19, 2018
Wellington, NV
What is the shelf life of chicken feed? My daughter gave me a huge bag of feed as a gift when she heard we wanted chickens but we were nowhere near ready for them. We are still building the run! I have had the feed for a year stored in a food grade blue barrel in the garage. Should I just toss it in the field for wild birds and mice or throw it in the trash?

What is the shelf life of chicken feed? My daughter gave me a huge bag of feed as a gift when she heard we wanted chickens but we were nowhere near ready for them. We are still building the run! I have had the feed for a year stored in a food grade blue barrel in the garage. Should I just toss it in the field for wild birds and mice or throw it in the trash?
Trash it. Don't give it to the wildlife. If its not fit to eat for your chickens its not for the wildlife either, you just don't see the results with the wildlife.
You don't say how old the feed is but its just not worth the risk.
It may not be practicable for you but a months supply at a time is the maximum I buy. This way hopefully recently milled feed is available where you buy.

Toss it.
I try to only buy feed less than 2 months old. You already know it is over a year old - not good.
What is the mill date on the bag of feed? It could even be a year and a half old.
The minerals in the feed are likely good but the vitamins will have long deteriorated as are the amino acids. They latter are toast. And the added fats in the feed may have turned the feed rancid.
Storage of feed can be lengthened by refrigeration or even freezing. Even the latter won't help feed over a year old.
Commercial egg and broiler farms only provide feed that is a day old.

Last edited:
@BrendaJune Before you start buying feed, learn how to read the mill date code for that brand. Ask here and someone should be able to help you, if your unsure. The date codes can be found in different places, depending on the brand. Some are on the bag, the ingredient tag or the paper seal where the string seals the bag (usually on the bottom seal). Ideally, you want to be able to use up the bag in 6 - 8 weeks from the mill date, for maximum freshness and nutrition.

@BrendaJune Before you start buying feed, learn how to read the mill date code for that brand. Ask here and someone should be able to help you, if your unsure. The date codes can be found in different places, depending on the brand. Some are on the bag, the ingredient tag or the paper seal where the string seals the bag (usually on the bottom seal). Ideally, you want to be able to use up the bag in 6 - 8 weeks from the mill date, for maximum freshness and nutrition.
That is very helpful. Thank you.

Toss it.
I try to only buy feed less than 2 months old. You already know it is over a year old - not good.
What is the mill date on the bag of feed? It could even be a year and a half old.
The minerals in the feed are likely good but the vitamins will have long deteriorated as are the amino acids. They latter are toast. And the added fats in the feed may have turned the feed rancid.
Storage of feed can be lengthened by refrigeration or even freezing. Even the latter won't help feed over a year old.
Commercial egg and broiler farms only provide feed that is a day old.
Just like nuts or butter when it goes rancid. Ewwww.

Back
Top Bottom