Old Fools exchanging chickens for CAMELS…

VictoriaTwead

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Alpujarra mountains, Spain
Firstly - I want to thank the many, many lovely people who I’ve ‘met’ here on BYC. I know loads have bought my book, and either left super Amazon reviews or have emailed or messaged me. What nice people you are!

Yes, I’m writing the sequel to ‘Chickens’ now. The working title is ‘Two Old Fools - Olé! It won’t be ready for a few months though.

But my BIG NEWS is that Joe and I have just signed contracts to go and teach in Bahrain for a year! We leave on the 20th August. So we’re having to pack up our house and leave our beloved little Spanish village. We’ve found great homes for the kittens and Paco next door is going to care for the chickens.

It’s only for a year, but I’m already missing our life in Spain… We haven’t taught for years and never even visited Bahrain. (I had to check the Atlas to find out exactly where it was!) Never mind, it’s only for 1 year, it’ll be an adventure and fodder for another book - Two Old Fools on a Camel, or something...

Victoria
smile.png

Many thanks, Chixie, TerriLaChicks and Sjisty!

Joe will be 59 next birthday, so we were lucky to get the jobs.
smile.png
The working day starts very early, but finishes at 1.00 so I hope to have time to write, after marking books, etc.

Victoria
smile.png

Holy cow...I mean CAMEL!!

Victoria, I haven't paid attention to twitter much the last week or so, but I can see I've missed this news!

I'm going to wish you the best of luck and look forward to the anecdotes.

How did this get started? My goodness...I'm off for a run and will check back in when I get back!

Hi ChooksChick - lovely to see you!

The explanation is here It's just a one year wallet-fattening opportunity. They are providing flights, an apartment, medical insurance, etc. Too good to turn down. But it'll be AWFUL leaving Spain...

Victoria
smile.png

Be very aware of their laws there. My wifes Grandfather worked there and watched several of his co-workers recieve their "lashes" for minor infractions.

Quote:
Are you sure your not thinking Saudi Arabia?

I worked 10 years on the Saudi side ( 15 miles ) away. Been to Bahrain probably 40-50 times in all and worked there on a couple of TDY assignments. Bahrain is MUCH more liberal than Saudi, its very small just an island ( actually two I think never visted the second island ), there is a causeway betwwen Saudi and Bahrain now so you can drive from Saudi, won't help you much without a Saudi visa.

Bahrain isn't so bad, advice stay out of local politics, there is a underdog element to their society that flares up every few years, but foriegners are usually not involved. The weather is HOT...really hot, and humid, expect 118-125 all through the summer and max humidity.

Alcohol is legal, the Saudi's drive across the causeway to party because it so much more liberal. Females should dress modistly ( they do not need to wear an obia like in Saudi ), don't offend the local culture, and you sould be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom