Old hen can't stand on her own

meat1709

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2014
New York
I have an old Barred Rock hen, and a couple of days ago I found her in the coop laying on her side. I thought she was dead at first, but then she started to move. If I help her to her feet, she is a little unsteady at first, but is able to stand and walk around on her own. One of her feet looks a little swollen, and like there might have been a little dried blood between her toes. I didn't see any wounds though. I had also wondered about arthritis, being that the last few days have been colder. I could use some advice on how to help her. She is eating and drinking normally. She just can't seem to stand up by herself, and is walking slower than normal.
cinny and thelma.jpg

I also noticed that is kind of drooping her right wing a bit.

Attachments

• 20221020_085323.jpg
    20221020_085323.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 5
One of her feet looks a little swollen, and like there might have been a little dried blood between her toes. I didn't see any wounds though.

I also noticed that is kind of drooping her right wing a bit.
Looks like a few droplets of blood on her foot?
Leg and toe look a bit scraped or injured?
Wing drooping?

Pick her up and have someone help you examine her for injuries.

1666324616258.jpeg

1666324638818.jpeg

Looks like a few droplets of blood on her foot?
Leg and toe look a bit scraped or injured?
Wing drooping?

Pick her up and have someone help you examine her for injuries.

View attachment 3298187
View attachment 3298188
I did, the spots circled in the first pick look like cracking from dry skin. The black is just something that she stepped in. I'm getting more worried because now even with help she can barely stand and stumbles around trying to keep her balance and when she is, she stands with her back side in the air. and the one wing is like drooping. I do have her separated from the others. Last night when I was securing her in the pet taxi she sounded congested. To try to help I crushed up about a quarter of an ibuprofen tablet and mixed in her water.

She just can't seem to stand up by herself, and is walking slower than normal.
How old is old? When was her last egg? Ever treated for internal parasites?

Have you felt for squishyness between her legs.. for EYP/waterbelly symptoms? How does the skin look below her vent?
Last night when I was securing her in the pet taxi she sounded congested. To try to help I crushed up about a quarter of an ibuprofen tablet and mixed in her water.
Lungs filling with fluid *can* be a symptom of ascites (the fore mentioned waterbelly/congestive heart failure).

FWIW.. arthritis can have many causes including LONG term dietary excess calcium or excess protein.. that effect kidneys and *can* cause gout, kidney failure, and well death.. usually in birds genetically predisposed somehow and ALSO fed an inappropriate diet for their age/gender.. Please describe feed routine. But the real part of information I want to share is that arthritis hurts always.. not just when it's cold, and not even just when you're moving around but even just sitting around can be uncomfortable (not the same as suffering or miserable)!

Regarding pain.. did you see any improvement in mobility after dosing with ibuprofen? I thought ibuprofen was against the rules for poultry but discovered that may not be true.. here is a thread that discusses proper dosing..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ibuprofen-for-controlling-pain-in-poultry.1250629/

Which I have no issue using pain meds once the issue has been identified and also if improving mobility isn't going to further increase the injury.. since sometimes pain and swelling are there to slow us down and protect us in that manner.

Hope she feels better and continues to thrive! :fl

How old is old? When was her last egg? Ever treated for internal parasites?

Have you felt for squishyness between her legs.. for EYP/waterbelly symptoms? How does the skin look below her vent?

Lungs filling with fluid *can* be a symptom of ascites (the fore mentioned waterbelly/congestive heart failure).

FWIW.. arthritis can have many causes including LONG term dietary excess calcium or excess protein.. that effect kidneys and *can* cause gout, kidney failure, and well death.. usually in birds genetically predisposed somehow and ALSO fed an inappropriate diet for their age/gender.. Please describe feed routine. But the real part of information I want to share is that arthritis hurts always.. not just when it's cold, and not even just when you're moving around but even just sitting around can be uncomfortable (not the same as suffering or miserable)!

Regarding pain.. did you see any improvement in mobility after dosing with ibuprofen? I thought ibuprofen was against the rules for poultry but discovered that may not be true.. here is a thread that discusses proper dosing..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ibuprofen-for-controlling-pain-in-poultry.1250629/

Which I have no issue using pain meds once the issue has been identified and also if improving mobility isn't going to further increase the injury.. since sometimes pain and swelling are there to slow us down and protect us in that manner.

Hope she feels better and continues to thrive! :fl
I don't know how old she is, I have had her for around three years, and she was full grown and stopped laying when I got her.

Her skin looks normal, and she isn't showing any signs of being in pain. When she stumbles, she tries to get right back up. The only thing I have noticed different on her body is the droop on her right side, and her eye is like squinting. That's what makes me think she had a stroke. And when I pick her up, the side that she is laying in is damp, like she's been sweating. She's not extending her neck out either now. When I lifted her to carry her to get a drink and eat, I felt a spot above her ribs, it reminded me of when the younger ones have an egg getting ready to lay. She didn't show any discomfort when I touched it. She is still pooping so I don't think she's constipated.

They get scratch grains, and free range so there's grass and worms and bugs. I also give them bread, hot dogs, meat, fruits, veggies. I keep food out for them at all times.

Back
Top Bottom