old hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BikerBabeRules, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    What do you all do with older hens that don't lay? Well, they lay around and eat me out of house and home but never lay. Someone gave them to me last year and they've never laid. They were obviously older I got them. I don't eat meat and won't end their lives. If i post an add and nobody answers, then what? I don't mind if someone else eats them.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Mine will live out their lives here...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Stewed slowly.

4. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    ours will become some home made chicken noodle soup

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I usually sell them unless they are part of the "untouchables".

When last year did you get them? If they are older birds, they may not lay till there is more day light as they take longer winter breaks. Can they be hiding them?

6. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    They aren't hiding them as I know all of the hiding spots. The other hens are great about going in the nesting boxes and laying. Or just not take the time or cant' be bothered and drop them where they walk. Grrh!
    Anyways, I think they are black jersey giants, cause they are huge and bluish/green in the sunlight but look black in the natural light. The lady that gave them to me said she was placing some hens to make room for day olds she had coming. (she knew i knew nothing about chickens at the time) I'll give them some more time, my mom lives way far out in the sticks and will take them. She took my sisters 3 roosters and they all got eaten by the foxes.....as long as i don't see this, i'm good. I do have my "untouchables", these aren't them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by