Older chicken stopped eating pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gracemckeown, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Gracemckeown

Gracemckeown Hatching

Jun 20, 2019
    Hi friends,
    I have a 5 year old chicken and now a new 5 month old chicken. My older one stopped eating pellets. She used to eat them out of my hand and now when I try that she tries to pick them up with her beak but just ends of brushing them around. As a result though, the younger one sees that she doesn’t eat the pellets and so SHE also won’t eat the pellets. I give them scraps but only once a week. Neither is laying. Thanks for your help!

twendt likes this.
  2. Gracemckeown

Gracemckeown Hatching

Jun 20, 2019
    Part 2-
    I had another chicken pass away a month ago from a blocked vent. She probably ate from that pellet feeder. Could that be why they won’t eat from it? I tried a new feeder but they haven’t touched it yet.

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Alot of chickens either start and then stop eating pellets or just won't eat them to begin with.
    My girls won't touch them it is a group statement too they'll leave the feeder full and eat grass but those pellets won't be touched.
    I finally gave up and went to crumble. :)

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  4. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    I have 16 laying hens and they would rather eat the young chicks starter grow feed than their own layer feed pellets...i dont have many eggs shells to give them as i sell 3 dozen eggs a week, guess i should get some oyster shells????? any advice????

Chickassan likes this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'm having a similar problem in that my bottom chicken (lowest in pecking order) will automatically defer to her alpha and just eat grass instead. She began losing weight so I started locking her in the run with both dry and fermented feed and noticed she'll eat something that way.

I feed whole seed feed, though. Spoiled brats :rolleyes::gig

Chickassan likes this.
  6. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    mine are spoiled also

Chickassan likes this.
  7. twendt

twendt Songster

Feb 23, 2019
    SE Wisconsin
    I had the same problem, I had to go back to crumbles. Picky eaters! I bought this great feed with pellets ( small pet select / Chicken layer feed) they ate the grains and left the pellets:he

Chickassan and Henriettamom919 like this.
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I would, there isn't much calcium in chick food it is pretty nutritious otherwise and something pretty much all adults will eat....big babies that proves it. :)

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  9. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    TRY MIXING WITH WATER, make a mash......i tricked my girls, i wet down my pellets and they thought is was new food and they gobbled it up....lol

Aunt Angus likes this.
  10. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    What you all consider whole seed FEED? Please
    tell. I used to mix various grade qui, bale, oats . flax, split peas etc.
    they would pick thru. so if I do it again will grind somehow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: