Older chicken stopped eating pellets

Gracemckeown

Hatching
Jun 20, 2019
Hi friends,
I have a 5 year old chicken and now a new 5 month old chicken. My older one stopped eating pellets. She used to eat them out of my hand and now when I try that she tries to pick them up with her beak but just ends of brushing them around. As a result though, the younger one sees that she doesn’t eat the pellets and so SHE also won’t eat the pellets. I give them scraps but only once a week. Neither is laying. Thanks for your help!

Hi friends,
I have a 5 year old chicken and now a new 5 month old chicken. My older one stopped eating pellets. She used to eat them out of my hand and now when I try that she tries to pick them up with her beak but just ends of brushing them around. As a result though, the younger one sees that she doesn’t eat the pellets and so SHE also won’t eat the pellets. I give them scraps but only once a week. Neither is laying. Thanks for your help!
Part 2-
I had another chicken pass away a month ago from a blocked vent. She probably ate from that pellet feeder. Could that be why they won’t eat from it? I tried a new feeder but they haven’t touched it yet.

I have 16 laying hens and they would rather eat the young chicks starter grow feed than their own layer feed pellets...i dont have many eggs shells to give them as i sell 3 dozen eggs a week, guess i should get some oyster shells????? any advice????

I'm having a similar problem in that my bottom chicken (lowest in pecking order) will automatically defer to her alpha and just eat grass instead. She began losing weight so I started locking her in the run with both dry and fermented feed and noticed she'll eat something that way.

I feed whole seed feed, though. Spoiled brats :rolleyes::gig

I'm having a similar problem in that my bottom chicken (lowest in pecking order) will automatically defer to her alpha and just eat grass instead. She began losing weight so I started locking her in the run with both dry and fermented feed and noticed she'll eat something that way.

mine are spoiled also

Hi friends,
I had the same problem, I had to go back to crumbles. Picky eaters! I bought this great feed with pellets ( small pet select / Chicken layer feed) they ate the grains and left the pellets:he

I would, there isn't much calcium in chick food it is pretty nutritious otherwise and something pretty much all adults will eat....big babies that proves it. :)
I have 16 laying hens and they would rather eat the young chicks starter grow feed than their own layer feed pellets...i dont have many eggs shells to give them as i sell 3 dozen eggs a week, guess i should get some oyster shells????? any advice????

What you all consider whole seed FEED? Please
tell. I used to mix various grade qui, bale, oats . flax, split peas etc.
they would pick thru. so if I do it again will grind somehow

Back
Top Bottom