Older hen suddenly started laying eggs again.. after a year or more..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WIChookchick, Sep 15, 2010.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    How is this possible? Is it normal for an older hen to suddenly start again?
    I have 3 hens that are over 2-3 yrs old and one has suddenly started laying large Grade A brown eggs.
    We have a production red/RIR that lays eggs that big, but her sisters have passed on over the last several months.
    I have 3 former 4H show hens that I got that were at least 1.5 to 2 yrs old LAST year, and they laid a bit, but
    were inconsistent and then non existent. I am getting 2 medium light brown from my BSL hens, and bantam sized
    from my silkies and polish bantams...
    I have a Light Brahma pullet but she is not old enough to start laying yet, I figure another month before she is ready.
    We have seen 1 or 2 of the older hens go in, but have not witnessed them laying.
    Could the light brahma be laying so soon?

Carol

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    anything is possible

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have 3 and 4 year olds that lay very well. Once "Flatbutt" and "Mamma" are finished with their molts they both should start laying again. They are 5 years old. A good hen will lay fairly well till 4 or so years old. There is a small drop off at 3 years old, but they still lay good enough.

Matt

4. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:Good info. I had never read about how long they will lay anywhere. I was thinking I would have to get new chicks every spring to keep a rotation going if they only layed for a year or so, but this means maybe only add new chicks or just change all of them out every 3 or 4 years would be fine.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, thanks for the information. [​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    A word of caution about when hens will stop laying.

Egg laying hybrids usually start egg laying early, 18-22 weeks and stop egg laying in their third or fourth year, reducing from 6-7 a week , to 2-3 and then stopping completely. Most pure breeds start laying later than hybrids (about 6 months of age or more) and go on laying 3, 4 or 5 eggs a week until they are 7 or 8 years of age.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by