Older Hen

she is drinking like crazy at times but everytime i put food in front of her she starts shaking her head. i cant figure out why she is drinking but not eating. i am so sad i have just been hsitting and holding her in the sunshine and crying but i dont understand why she is drinking and not eating i mean she stood and drank for probably 15 minutes solid. shaking her head some to. i can tell by her eyes she is getting weaker and weaker

Last edited:
she is drinking like crazy at times but everytime i put food in front of her she starts shaking her head. i cant figure out why she is drinking but not eating. i am so sad i have just been hsitting and holding her in the sunshine and crying but i dont understand why she is drinking and not eating i mean she stood and drank for probably 15 minutes solid. shaking her head some to. i can tell by her eyes she is getting weaker and weaker
I'm so sorry she's not getting better.
Can you get someone to hold her and you take another look inside the beak just to be sure there's nothing in the throat, roof of the mouth, etc. that may be preventing her from eating?
I would look inside her ears while you are at it.

I'm so sorry she's not getting better.
Can you get someone to hold her and you take another look inside the beak just to be sure there's nothing in the throat, roof of the mouth, etc. that may be preventing her from eating?
I would look inside her ears while you are at it.
We actually did look in her throat again and still saw nothing I even put some oil in her throat I read to do that on here. I felt up and down her neck and felt nothing.i will look in her ears tomorrow.

Awww, I am so sorry that your beautiful hen is having troubles. Barred Rocks are my absolute favorite breed and she's so pretty ! She's all the more special since she's the last of your original darlings & I know that feeling that you have in the pit of your stomach! I hope that she improves.

That clear liquid is making me wonder if there's a blockage somewhere that's preventing food & liquid from passing thru... so it comes back up & she shakes it out?
That could also explain why she's losing weight.

I know that you love her & she knows it, too.
She knows that you are trying to help her.
:fl

Is she passing any droppings? What do they look like? Giving oil is probably not a good idea here, since she has not been having a crop problem, nor eating/drinking. You have described her crop as not feeling full. I would worry that she might choke on the oil, and it could go into her airway. When giving oil, such as coconut oil, it can be refrigerated and cut into small pieces to swallow. With a liquid oil, it can be mixed into a little food to eat. That is safer than giving oil into the beak by itself.

Petunia has drank alot so far todayi put the vitamins and elctros in her water cut her up a couple grapes and she actually ate maybe one whole grape cut up. she seems like she does better when i take her outside.

Awww, I am so sorry that your beautiful hen is having troubles. Barred Rocks are my absolute favorite breed and she's so pretty ! She's all the more special since she's the last of your original darlings & I know that feeling that you have in the pit of your stomach! I hope that she improves.

That clear liquid is making me wonder if there's a blockage somewhere that's preventing food & liquid from passing thru... so it comes back up & she shakes it out?
That could also explain why she's losing weight.

I know that you love her & she knows it, too.
She knows that you are trying to help her.
:fl
Yes!! she is very special to me
yes the liquid is clear its like every little bit she is gulping it back down. I dont know where there would be a blockage at. I know someone said something about the vet but i have taken mine in the past and ended up having one put to sleep there and the other one passed away later at home so i dont really know if they could do anything. they talk like chickens are complicated.

Back
Top Bottom