Older Hen

we bought some crickets to try she wanted it and did get it in her mouth i thought she get it down but slang it right back out, she w:hitould barely get it past her beak and back out:hit

we bought some crickets to try she wanted it and did get it in her mouth i thought she get it down but slang it right back out, she w:hitould barely get it past her beak and back out:hit
:hugs I'm so sorry

How long has it been since she's not had anything to eat? Have you tried tube feeding her?

It's heartbreaking, but sometimes no matter what we try, they continue to decline and we have to come to a place where a decision needs to made made whether to continue on or let them go.

:hugs I'm so sorry

How long has it been since she's not had anything to eat? Have you tried tube feeding her?

It's heartbreaking, but sometimes no matter what we try, they continue to decline and we have to come to a place where a decision needs to made made whether to continue on or let them go.
its been probably 3 days since shes had food and barely and before that. she cant get anything down she looks so weak in her eyes. she isnt drinking as much either. im just taking her out in the sun trying to let her be with the others while i stand with her so no one will hurt her. i probably wont try tube feeding. i havent given up 100%yet but my hope is bleek. all i can do that i know of at this point is pray for her.

there is a new element with Petunia im not sure if its good or bad.....we bought crickets yesterday you know what chicken sick or well can resist a cricket and way she could not get them down yesterday. i offered some to her just now she tried one and slung it out then got another one i picked her up and helped her get it in i think she slung it out. then she got another in her mouth dropped it and there was blood on the cricket i noticed blood on her beak. she took 2 crickets and got them down. im not sure where the blood is from maybe something has busted that we couldnt see and she may start eating and getting better or this is a turn for the worse and will not make it i dont know:fl

Sorry that she is still failing. Hard to know what the blood means. Fatty liver hemorrhagic disease and cancer can cause bleeding, especially from the vent. It is hard to watch as she continues to do worse, but she probably feels comfort from your being there, and taking her out to be with her flock for visits. Do you plan on getting a necropsy done, or doing one yourself if you lose her? That might be helpful and give some closure knowing what was wrong. But at her age it just could be that she is spent.

thank you, no i dont plan to do anything like that it is hard not knowing i told my husband its heart breaking knowing she tries and wants to eat but cant. weve checked in her throat a couple times in her mouth but never saw anything that we know of....:(:(

Oh i am very sorry! :hit:hiti know it doesn't seem so important now, but you gave her a long life, an happy life, and lot of love when she was ill. You are a good keeper and she was lucky to have you :hugs i don't know exactly why, but it hurts so much when we lost our older hens. I lost two of my older girls in a few days some weeks ago. So, i really really feel your sadness like it was mine. Come on! :hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom