Older hens...Is this what happens? Prolapse, Pendulum, Ascites?

Liz Birdlover

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
So my 1st chickens are getting up there in age I guess...ranging from 7 to 10 yrs old, egg laying breeds.

I know we all get older & things start ailing us, that's life no matter what species. But I haven't had older hens before. I thought it rather odd to have 3 different ailing scenarios the same week. I've checked EVERYONE over for any issues, mites, vent gleet, sour breath, mushy tummy or bum, bullying, whatever...so far, I only found a few with mites & addressed them & I bully issue & he is now moved (No, sweet Roo was NOT the bully, Hens were pecking at him, even after Blukote. His beautiful cone & feathers, those little RIR wenches! Sweet Casanova, RIR & Comet mix, too nice, Truly a henpecked boy!).

Anyway...

1 EE hen, Pepper Sprout, had a prolapse, but so far she has kept it back in for days & is back with the flock, seems ok, sassy as ever.

Another Brahma mix hen, Chanel, had pendulum crop. It isn't as bad now, but it's still there. She seemed fine for awhile, but now she is staying in the nestbox most of the time, even at night...I know she could be feeling broody, but she doesn't lay anymore. Do they still feel broody without laying? I also wonder maybe she just goes into the box for some peace because she is the oldest in that group?

This 3rd EE hen, Sienna, had a water balloon bottom!
I drained it last night,
A LOT of fluid, it was clear with a slight greenish tint, no odor at all. I read up on ascites. The say it usually stems from a heart issue, circulation & lack of oxygenated blood, leading to the water belly. Slight green tint indicates gall bladder issue? I don't know...It may be an egg peritonitis issue & she happens to lay green/blue eggs...so perhaps that is reason for the tint in the fluid?
She laid a few eggs last month, then stopped laying, that's when I noticed she wasn't her chipper self, then I saw her bum looking heavy. I set her up in a private recovery cage & her bum was looking like a water balloon, getting bigger.
Well, I drained her, she was an excellent, calm patient. She spent the night close by in my bathroom. She's eating & drinking, gave her fresh chickweed & added a bit of apple cider vinegar & oregano in her water. She seems very happy. Not sure what else to do for her...I've read that I will probably need to keep draining her.

No one else has any issues. All 3 of these birds have been in different areas, so they don't share coop space, pen space, feed nor water. Their Roosters are all fine, too. (Well, Casanova isn't, he got whooped up on, poor gentle boy! He may end up a house Roo Lol)
Whatever is going on, it's individual & they're all older birds.

I love my flock, I want to do my best for them. If anyone reading this has experienced these types of circumstances & has any input, feedback or advice, I am all ears.

Thank you my chicken friends! 20220401_133256.jpg 20220331_192619.jpg 20210203_105501.jpg 20220403_123247.jpg

Last edited:
These poor chickens. They are so prone to reproductive problems. And I can def relate to falling apart as time passes - let me tell you! I think that's probably a safe bet, though I can't say for sure. Those are all reproductive problems, so it would make sense.

It's amazing they are so long-lived, and it speaks volumes about your care of them!

I just lost my 10 yr old RSL Heidi about 6 wks ago. And yes, all of the above for my older girls near the end. Heidi stopped laying about 6 mos ago but hung out in the nesting box every few weeks. A week before she passed, I noticed her pushing and she had a slight prolapse that took care of itself after a day or so. Then I noticed her eating and then she'd rest right there in front of the feeder, close her eyes and drop asleep. Lastly, she got off the roosting bar one morning, hopped under the poop boards and within minutes she lost control of her head and neck. Seemed to be a stroke. About an hour after she lost control of her neck, she started losing control of her wings, then legs, etc. and then she passed.

A RIR was battling Ascites for about 6 mos. and died 2 weeks after Heidi. She stopped laying and after several mos I noticed her panting at the slightest physical activity. This went on for weeks and the Ascites, even when drained, would come back in a few days. Her last symptom was a slight prolapse. She passed while I was giving her a warm bath.

I've had quite a few geriatric birds go along the same way. Prolapse, filled with fluid, lethargy and then death. Mostly after 7 yrs of age. For my younger birds, I treat the prolapse and they are back to themselves in a few days. So it seems the older birds get similar issues at the end.

Back
Top Bottom