Older hens laying super tiny eggs

GoodyOneShoe

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
I have approximately 20 chickens, all hens, and all over 3 years old. Last week one of them laid a tiny egg. The next day, one of the hens was behaving oddly. She sat still for much of the day, not venturing far. She also failed to jump on the roost in coop at night. The next day, the same chicken sat with her head tucked down, somewhat retracted, out in the yard. When I approached her for inspection, she moved (although slowly) and showed no visible signs of stress. I checked legs and wings all which appeared fine. Again, she did not use roost at night. The third morning, I noticed her on the floor of coop, but she waddled out the door with the rest. After putting my kids on the bus, I went to check on her and she was on her side with her eyes closed, but still alive. The others were pecking her terribly and I kept her separated until I coukd return later that afternoon. She did not make it.

Now, I don't know for sure that she laid that super tiny egg (she is a red sex linked) as I have 20 birds. However, that was the beginning of this strange behavior that seemed to mysteriously take an otherwise healthy bird. Coukd she have been impacted with a large egg? Could that egg have broken inside her?

Today, almost a week later...I found another tiny egg. I'm worried I will lose another bird. Can someone help?

I'm very sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

There is a high chance that she could have been impacted. Here is a link on that https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Make sure your chickens have calcium. Either oyster shells or crushed, rinsed eggshells. This will help keep things moving smoothly through their bodies. Also make sure they have lots of food and water. Water is especially important.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
It is never easy to lose one of your feathered friends.

It is possible she was egg bound. However tiny eggs have nothing to do with egg binding. Occasionally a hen will lay what they call "wind eggs", small eggs with no yolks. Older hens can have all kinds of issues with laying. I have an older hen that can have a very difficult time putting a shell on anymore. She lays lash eggs, extremely large eggs and sometimes two plain yolks in one day.

If you notice an hen waddle around and keeping low, or frequently going in and out of the nest box, this could indicate egg binding.

Here is a nice article on egg binding, how to spot it, treat it and prevent it.....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask around the forums.

I have approximately 20 chickens, all hens, and all over 3 years old. Last week one of them laid a tiny egg. The next day, one of the hens was behaving oddly. She sat still for much of the day, not venturing far. She also failed to jump on the roost in coop at night. The next day, the same chicken sat with her head tucked down, somewhat retracted, out in the yard. When I approached her for inspection, she moved (although slowly) and showed no visible signs of stress. I checked legs and wings all which appeared fine. Again, she did not use roost at night. The third morning, I noticed her on the floor of coop, but she waddled out the door with the rest. After putting my kids on the bus, I went to check on her and she was on her side with her eyes closed, but still alive. The others were pecking her terribly and I kept her separated until I coukd return later that afternoon. She did not make it.

Now, I don't know for sure that she laid that super tiny egg (she is a red sex linked) as I have 20 birds. However, that was the beginning of this strange behavior that seemed to mysteriously take an otherwise healthy bird. Coukd she have been impacted with a large egg? Could that egg have broken inside her?

Today, almost a week later...I found another tiny egg. I'm worried I will lose another bird. Can someone help?

If they have an egg stuck, the usual symptom is walking like a penguin. What you are describing sounds like something else. Chickens die for numerous reasons, so without a necropsy, you will never know for sure. Laying tiny eggs in itself isn't an issue, they are mistakes in the egg factory, but it can be a sign of other issues if repetitive. How was her breast tissue? Usually when birds fade away, they lose breast tissue (from not eating) and their keel bone becomes very prominent.

I have a 6 year old hatchery light brahma hen that has been laying these tiny eggs (also called fart eggs) for a year and a half. She doesn't lay any normal eggs. And these tiny eggs don't show up too often, maybe once a month. She's healthy, normal weight, and even went broody and raised babies last fall. I do think it is a sign that she is internal laying (egg peritonitis), as it is an issue with hatchery birds, and eventually, it will catch up to her and cause her death. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much everyone! This is such a great site for resource. I just felt so helpless in the moment. Someone is still laying an odd small egg a day, but I don't see any more signs of distress with anyone. Perhaps it wasn't related. Just hard not knowing I guess. But again, thank you ALL for the considerate feedback. I really appreciate it.
1f618.png
1f618.png

Back
Top Bottom