Aug 14, 2021
Hello!

New here so please do point me towards any similar threads! :)

I’m a first time chicken keeper with 2 Plymouth Rock hens, Princess Layer and Yolko Ono, both somewhere between 5 and 6 years old.
They’re both still laying semi-regularly, have recently had a low worm count (50 epg) and a clean bill of health from the vet.

They live in the garage with access to a big garden during the day. To get up, they have to hop up a terrace area, which Princess seems to be struggling with now. We’re thinking scaly leg mites (Yolko is absolutely fine though) or arthritis? We do have scaly leg spray but it didn’t seem to make a huge difference.

Since their sister passed suddenly a couple of months ago, they’ve been spending a lot more time inside.
We put up mirrors to bounce some more light around but Princess now spends most of her time tucked up next to the mirrors chatting to her new ‘friends’. She seems content, but I worry that she’s not spending enough time outside because of these bloomin’ mirrors. Yolko seems to want to be outside, occasionally she’ll go up alone, but more often than not she’ll stick around to keep Princess company.

I’m at the stage now where I’m just not sure what’s normal aging and what is illness causing many panicked google searches which usually convince me they’re dying!
For example, Princess will quite often have ruffled feathers and I’m like oh no… but the next day an egg appears or she’ll decide she fancies an outdoors day and it’s like she’s a youngster again! :confused:

Can anyone with elderly chooks share your experiences and give me some reassurance/advice on keeping the older ladies healthy and happy?

Thanks - and sorry for the lengthy post! :D

I should add, I’ve had them for 4 years so know their usual behaviours pretty well - I just don’t know how their behaviour compares to other chickens!

I don't have any older birds, so I can't compare behaviors, but I have had older dogs. If Princess has arthritis, that may be part of the reason why she is inside more. Could you add a ramp or steps made of concrete blocks to help her up onto the terrace?
I don't know if it would help, but have you also tried adding an outdoor mirror to the garden so her mirror friends could be outside with her?

They have steps but she won’t use them. They’re not wobbly, they’re wide and long enough. :confused:

We wondered if we should cover up the mirrors during free ranging hours as it almost seems like an addiction but an outdoor mirror is a great idea! Thanks! We’re making a dust bath closer to the garage so that would be a great spot.

Back
Top Bottom