Oldest and youngest ages for processing dual-purpose chickens???

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
I am wondering about some of my dual purpose laying flock. I have a few more than I want and I'm considering eating instead of selling them. Some are older than others so, I was wondering what ages are the best to eat. At what age would you think a hen is really a bit too old to consume without major stewing or massive cooking times?

What is the oldest and youngest you have processed, and what methods did you use to cook them at each age group?

pop.gif

I think most people plan on 18-24 weeks. However, it doesn't really matter how old. What matters is how you cook it. The older birds need to be cooked long and slow with moisture added. The youngest ones can be fried or grilled. I have a couple 18 wk olds in the fridge. Can't wait to see how they are!

We process out the extra roos at 4-5 months old. That way they have a good amount of meat.

We have processed hens up to 5 years old. If you age the bird in the fridge a few days before cooking you don't have to stew as long. Most older birds are pressure cooked, deboned, and chopped for BBQ, soup, or dumplings.

Matt

I once had to process some extra roo's, (packing peanuts) at 15 weeks cause they were causing too much chaos. They are not bad, nice eating, but a bit on the small side. So I would wait till 18 weeks at least if I could.

We waited on our extra roo's till we couldn't stand it no more. When they are competitive crowing or chasing our unwilling hens, and everyone's yelling HELLLLLLLP HELLLLLLLLP. If you listen closely that is what they are saying, when getting beat up. I am in process of culling extras from Nov and Feb hatches. Most of it is going to make dog and cat food. They all have tongues hanging out as I'm pulling guts. Its crazy.

Back
Top Bottom